One of my favorite things in the colder months is a huge pot of soup that you can eat for days. Something comforting that sticks to your ribs, but that also still feels healthy.
Ideally, something that is chock full of vegetables, too.
Oh so like this Lightened Up Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder. Oh how convenient! 🙂
So I’ve been away a lot this summer. I don’t even know what I’ve been doing, I’ve just been home one week and gone the next.
This week I got back from visiting Alex at his current away rotation in Chicago, and I found myself feeling so anxious at home. No matter how much I accomplished, I had this air of stress looming over me.
Like yesterday. I woke up early, worked out, went to the grocery store, recipe tested 4 things, shot 1, and answered all my emails. And yet I felt unaccomplished. Like I wasn’t doing enough.
So I started cleaning the house. I put everything away that didn’t need to be out, cleaned out cabinets in the kitchen, and threw out random things that were lying around. And just like that, I found myself feeling better. My anxiety began to dissipate. My head stopped buzzing.
This, to me, was a reminder how much I am influenced by my environment. And how much being in a cluttered space can clutter your mind.
I’m going to really try in the next few weeks to keep my home as clean and clutter-free as it can be. And I encourage you to do the same. Next time you walk into your house and take off your jacket, take the extra 10 seconds to hang it up instead of tossing it onto the couch. When you instinctively want to kick off those shoes and leave them in the hallway, don’t! Put those babies away. Because I’m sure if you do you’ll find yourself feeling better about your space and environment, and in turn, your mental state will benefit!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced diagonally
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 zucchinis, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 ears corn, sliced off cob
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- more corn
- bacon bits!
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot (caste iron is best), heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add in onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and celery, cooking another 3 minutes. Next stir in zucchini, garlic, and white wine and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Add cherry tomatoes, corn, chicken stock, milk, cream, dijon, and sugar, stirring to combine. Toss in shredded chicken. Once soup comes to a boil, turn to simmer and cover completely.
- Simmer soup for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve topped with microgreens and bacon bits!