I could not be more excited to share this recipe for Roasted Root Vegetables with Fennel and Pistachio Yogurt from the new Kale & Caramel cookbook, authored by my lovely blogging friend Lily Diamond.
Lily and I have been friends for a few years now, and I’m continuously amazed by her openness, warmth, and tenacity. Her seasonal-inspired recipes are made for the body and soul, filling your stomach and heart like only the best of food can.
Lily is smart, witty, and a phenomenal writer. Her words float off of your screen and into your ears like music. As soon as I received a copy of the cookbook, I ripped off the packaging and ran to my couch to read it all. Cue literal “wow”s and “omg Alex this book is amazing.” We spent the next 10 minutes flipping back and forth between sections on fennel, mint, and cilantro.
I had a really hard time deciding which recipe to share with you all. It was either this one or the Balsamic Lentils with Roasted Eggplant, Tomatoes & Oregano Cream, or the Roasted Fig Pizza with Rosemary Chèvre. Or the Lemony Fennel, Radish & Kale Salad. I think I’m making that one this week. But the idea of roasted vegetables tossed in fennel and cumin with a creamy yogurt dressing felt just right for these still-not-quite-warm days.
A massive congratulations to you, Lily, on this cookbook. I am so proud to call you a friend.
Get a copy of Lily’s book Kale & Caramel: Recipes for Body, Heart, and Table, here!
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium fennel bulb, washed and trimmed, fronds reserved
- 4 to 5 carrots, washed and trimmed
- 2 medium beets, washed and trimmed
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ¾ cup thinly sliced shallots
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- ⅓ cup shelled roasted pistachios
- ⅔ cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- flaky sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Crush the whole fennel and cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle until just slightly broken.
- Cut the fennel bulb in half, and then into ¼ inch slices. Slice the carrots into long juliennes, about ½ inch thick. Slice the beets into quarters or sixths. Slice the sweet potato into midsize wedges that are roughly the same size thickness as the beets.
- Place the fennel, carrots, beets, sweet potato, and shallots on the baking sheet in a single layer, mixing to distribute evenly. Drizzle with the oil, and sprinkle with the crushed fennel and cumin seeds, ground cumin, and salt. Toss to coat evenly.
- Roast for 40 minutes, rotating the pan and turning over the veggies with a spatula halfway through.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios and the reserved fennel fronds. Combine the yogurt, oil, 2 teaspoons of fennel fronds, and a few sprinkles of salt in a small bowl. Top with some of the chopped pistachios and the remaining fennel fronds, reserving some for the veggies.
- Serve the roasted veggies with yogurt, sprinkled with extra pistachios and fennel fronds.