These brown butter toffee chocolate chip cookies taste straight from a bakery with a gooey center, crunchy edge, big pools of dark chocolate, and chunks of buttery toffee. Made with a soft salty-sweet brown butter cookie dough, these toffee chocolate chip cookies take your regular ol’ choco chip cookies to the next level. Pair this toffee chocolate chip cookie recipe with a glass of milk and you’re in for a seriously decadent chocolate chip cookie.
Oh hi. I thought you might like these gooey brown butter toffee chocolate chip cookies. They’re gooey, chewy, crunchy, decadent and taste like they’re straight from a bakery. Plus they’re easy to make, a crowd pleaser, and freeze well! If you’re a chocolate chip cookie lover, you’ll love this fun twist on classic brown butter choco chip cookies!
You’d be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t love a good homemade chocolate chip cookie. I don’t know about you guys, but I make chocolate chip cookies so much that sometimes you just need to add a little extra oompf in, and take them to that next level. That’s where toffee comes in: buttery, sweet, and the perfect addition to chocolate chip cookies.
Ingredients for brown butter toffee chocolate chip cookies:
This toffee chocolate chip cookie recipe only requires one additional ingredient to your classic chocolate chip cookie recipe: toffee!
- Butter: I cannot stress enough how important high quality butter is in chocolate chip cookie recipes. We use Vermont Creamery, but any high quality butter will do. Go ahead, splurge the extra dollar on the good box. It’ll be well worth it.
- Brown Sugar + White Sugar: A mixture of brown sugar and white sugar will really deepen the flavor of these toffee chocolate chip cookies and give them the perfect sugary crunch.
- Egg + Egg yolk: The extra egg yolk will keep your cookies super soft without getting too cakey!
- Sea Salt: Salt is the most underrated ingredient of all time. A healthy sprinkle of sea salt offsets the sweetness of these brown butter toffee chocolate chip cookies, taking them from homemade to gourmet!
- High Quality Chocolate: There really is a difference between high quality chocolate and the store brand. We love using chocolate bars and roughly chopping them to give you big pools of melty chocolate in your finished product.
- Toffee: Feel free to use homemade toffee if you have the time, but you can always use premade or store bought for these homemade cookies!
What is brown butter?
Brown butter is just regular butter that you essentially “toast” the milk solids in. It’s called brown butter, because it turns, well, brown. Duh. It develops a beautiful nutty, toasty caramel taste that just makes you want to drink it.
No? Just me. K cool.
How to make brown butter:
If you haven’t had brown butter yet, you MUST try it. Browning your butter gives it an amazing complexity that enhances so many recipes, including these brown butter toffee chocolate chip cookies.
- STEP ONE: Start by melting your butter over medium heat in a small sauce pan.
- STEP TWO: Whisk the butter constantly as it melts to ensure it’s evenly heated. As it melts the butter will start to foam. This is the sweet point between boiling the butter (NOT what you want) and not hot enough.
- STEP THREE: Keep a close eye on the butter. Like DO NOT WALK AWAY. As it transitions from it’s usual yellow color to a deeper golden hue and at last to a beautiful light brown. You’ll know it’s done by the smell: a toasted nutty, intoxicating scent. It can very quickly go from this light brown to burnt, so make sure you take it off the heat as soon as it makes the turn.
- STEP FOUR: Take it off the heat and transfer to a bowl to allow it to cool before using in your recipe.
I don’t know about you guys, but in my opinion, it’s always cookie time. What’re you waiting for? Whip up these brown butter toffee chocolate chip cookies for a decadent treat any time of the week!
Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 cookies 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, lightly browned and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounce dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup toffee, roughly chopped
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan heat butter over medium heat to brown it, stirring constantly until the butter begins to foam and turns a golden brown, emitting a nutty aroma. Take butter off the heat and allow to cool completely before using
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooled brown butter, brown sugar and white sugar, whisking until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix well. Add the flour, baking soda and salt, folding until just combined . Carefully fold in the chocolate and toffee pieces.
- Allow the dough to chill for at least an hour or overnight.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out the cookies using a 1 ounce cookie scoop and place the balls 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the edges are golden brown, but the center is still gooey. Allow to cool before devouring!
Keywords: brown butter toffee chocolate chip cookies, toffee chocolate chip cookies
More brown butter recipes?
Brown Butter Nutella Hazelnut Cookie Bars (yes, they are as good as they sound)