for the salted dulce de leche
- 15 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
for the crepes
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2 medium bananas
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
for the topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 bananas, sliced lengthwise
to make the dulce de leche
- Remove the labeling from the sweetened condensed milk and place the can on its side in a pot of boiling water. Make sure the water covers the top of the can at all times (you will have to pour in more water from time to time). Lower the heat and simmer for 3 hours. Remove can from water, allow to cool slightly, then open and stir in salt. Set aside.
to make the crepes
- Heat an 8 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse all crepe ingredients until homogenous. Do not overmix.
- Pour mixture 1/4 cup at a time into skillet. As soon as the batter hits the center of the pan, lift the pan from the stove entirely and roll in a circular motion so the batter moves evenly around the skillet and forms a circle.
- Cook for ~30 seconds, or until the crepe begins to bubble all around and goes from glossy batter to a matte surface. Use a spatula to flip crepe over. Cook the second side for ~30 seconds more. Set aside on a large work surface to cool.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Should make 25-30 crepes.
assemble the cake
- Lay two crepes on top of each other in the middle of a cake stand, making a sturdy base. Scoop a rounded tablespoon of dulce de leche onto the top crepe and spread to the edges of the crepe using a cake spatula or butter knife. Yes, it will be thin but there are many layers to go!
- Continue stacking layer after layer of crepe, dulce de leche, crepe, dulce de leche. About every 5 layers, stack 2 crepes together in order to keep your cake sturdy. Soon you will have a crepe cake!
to make the bananas foster topping
- In a large saucepan over medium low heat, melt the brown sugar, rum, maple syrup, and butter. Once melted, turn heat to medium and add in bananas. Use a spatula to flip the bananas so they cook evenly. Cook for roughly 5 minutes total, until the bananas turn a nice golden color and soak up almost all of the sauce. Cool completely.
- While the bananas foster cools, whip your cream in a standing mixer until stiff peaks form. Scoop whipped cream on top of cake, then scoop bananas foster on top. Finish with a sprinkle of powdered sugar!