for the bourbon soaked cherries
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- orange peel from 1/2 orange
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch cinnamon
- 2 cups cherries (pitted)
for the bread
- 1¼ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 banana, sliced in half for topping (optional)
to make the bourbon cherries
- In a medium sealable jar, mix together bourbon, water, sugar, orange peel, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Add in cherries. Seal and allow to soak at least overnight, but preferably for a full 24-48 hours.
to make the bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream brown sugar and butter. Add in bananas, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Whisk in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, drain the bourbon-soaked cherries and toss in 2 tablespoons of flour. Gently fold into batter.
- Pour into loaf pan and top with banana sliced in half, if using. Bake for roughly 1 hour, until a knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before serving!