- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cups butternut squash, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/4 cups green lentils
- 8 cups chicken stock (homemade preferred!)
- parmesan, for garnish
- In a dutch oven or large pot, cook the onion and celery over medium low heat for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add in butternut squash, garlic, cumin, thyme, and salt, cooking an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes, lentils, and chicken stock and allow to come to a rolling boil.
- Turn heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes. Once time has elapsed, remove cover and continue to simmer for an additional hour, until stew is thick and creamy. Makes about 3 quarts.