- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup funfetti cake mix (the dry mix straight from the box)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons colored sprinkles
- Whisk the yolks and 1/3 cup of the sugar until creamy. Set aside.
- Heat the cream, milk, 1/3 cup of sugar, and salt in a medium pot and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and the cream is nearly simmering. Lower the heat and scoop a ½ cup of the cream mixture into the yolks, whisking the entire time to combine.
- Pour the heated yolk mixture back into the pot, still whisking the entire time to combine. Then, using a spatula, slowly stir the mixture while it heats. The custard should thicken in 3-5 minutes. You will know it’s ready when it coats the back of a spoon and holds its shape when you draw your finger through it.
- Quickly remove from heat and stir in funfetti cake mix and vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture into a thick ziplock bag and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours, and up to overnight.
- Once chilled, pour ice cream into your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. At the end, fold in colored sprinkles. Transfer to freezer-proof container and allow to harden for at least 6 hours. Then serve!