for the chocolate crêpes
- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Triple Cocoa Blend
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
for the pastry cream filling
- 2 cups homemade Pastry Cream
- 3/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread, such as Nutella
For the crêpes
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and cocoa. If the cocoa has any lumps be sure to break them up or sift them out.
- Whisk in the eggs, milk and butter and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth. Pour the batter through a strainer into a clean bowl, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Towards the end of the rest period, preheat your crêpe pan according to the manufacturer’s direction. Cook a test crêpe or two, and adjust the batter with milk if it is too thick to work with. Cook the rest of the crêpes, you’ll need about 18 to 20 for the cake.
- Cool the crêpes while you prepare the homemade Pastry Cream (recipe linked above). You will need approximately 2 cups of cooled pastry cream.
To make hazelnut pastry cream Warm the chocolate hazelnut spread in the microwave for 20 seconds, or until it is soft and almost pourable. Whisk the warm spread into the pastry cream, and continue to whisk until it is lump free.
- To assemble the cake: Stack 3 crêpes on a serving plate and spread with 2 tablespoons of hazelnut pastry cream. Continue to layer a single crêpe and 2 tablespoons of filling until you are nearly out of crêpes. For stability, occasionally layer two or three crêpes instead of one single crêpe.
- End with a layer of 3 crêpes. Wrap the cake well in plastic wrap, using a little pressure to keep the cake pressed down. Chill for at least 60 minutes, or up to overnight. Slice in wedges to serve.