For the Chocolate Cookies:
- 1/2 cup Vermont Creamery Cultured Butter with Sea Salt, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the Peppermint Buttercream:
- ½ cup Vermont Creamery Cultured Butter with Sea Salt, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and salt and beat 1 minute more.
- Turn mixer to low and mix in the cocoa, flour, and baking soda, mixing until just combined.
- Use a 1/2 oz cookie scoop (or use a 1 oz cookie scoop and divide the dough in half) to scoop balls of dough. Roll each ball between palms to form a perfect circle, then place on prepared baking sheet and push down slightly, making a slightly flattened disk. You should have 32 scoops of dough.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then remove from heat and allow cookies to cool on baking sheets until they reach room temperature.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter, sugar, peppermint extract and milk until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gently fold in the candy cane pieces until just combined. Place frosting into a piping bag with a medium tip.
- Pipe roughly 1 tablespoon of frosting onto half of the cookies, then sandwich with remaining cookies. Drizzle with chocolate and top with crushed up candy canes! Keep refrigerated. Will last up to 5 days in the fridge.