- Yield: 10 servings
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1 large white onion, sliced thin
- 2 green peppers, sliced thin
- 8 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 3 cups green chili enchilada sauce
- 15 sheets whole wheat lasagna noodles (the no-cook kind)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
for the bechamel
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim or low-fat milk
- dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and green peppers in 2 teaspoons olive oil until tender (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and place on a large plate, reserving for later.
- In the same pan, sauté mushrooms and asparagus until mushrooms are browned and asparagus is cooked but still slightly hard to the touch (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and place on a large plate, reserving for later.
- In the same pan, cook the garlic and spinach until the spinach is slightly wilted (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat and place on a large plate, reserving for later.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the bechamel, melt butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and allow to cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Whisk for 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Place 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9″x13″ baking pan. Line with 5 sheets of lasagna noodles. Place half of the green peppers/onion mixture, then half of the mushroom/asparagus mixture, then half of the sautéed spinach over the noodles. Drizzle with a third of the bechamel and the basil, then half of the goat cheese and 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce. Repeat with a second layer of noodles in the same fashion.
- Top everything with a final layer of noodles, then the remaining bechamel, enchilada sauce, and basil. Top everything with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, covered. Remove aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, uncovered. Serve!