for the cake
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup pureed pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, plus more for the topping
for the frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons milk
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line three 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper (alternatively, you can do two 8-inch pans).
- In a large bowl, combine banana, pineapple, brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing for at least 20 strokes to activate the gluten. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour batter equally into prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes, then allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese together using an electric mixer or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Add in confectioner’s sugar, milk, and lemon zest and beat for 30 seconds.
- Frost and decorate with flowers, dried pineapple, and bee pollen!