for the perfect pie crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Challenge salted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons vodka
- 1 egg, for egg wash (can also use heavy cream)
For the pie
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- zest of 1/4 orange
For the pecan topping
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light or medium brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
make the pie crust
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Cut Challenge butter into small cubes, then work butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or large forks until it resembles a corse meal.
- Pour in 3 tablespoons vodka, then mix everything together using your hands. Work quickly as to not melt the butter. If dough is too dry, add in another tablespoon of vodka. Form dough into disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for at least 1 hour, but up to 2 days.
make the pie
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a pie plate with butter.
- Over a large work surface, roll out your pie disk into a large circle big enough so that it will drape over the edges of your pie plate (i.e. if your pie pan is 9 inches, roll it out to 11 inches). Fit it into pie plate by gently patting it onto the edges of the pan. Tuck the pie edges under themselves, then use your fingers to create a fluted pattern (you can look up online how to make it look extra pretty!). Place in fridge while you make your filling.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, spices, flour, bourbon, and orange zest. Whisk until well combined.
- Remove pie crust from fridge and pour in pie filling. Carefully place pie into heated oven and cook for 50 minutes. Once cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool completely in fridge, about 4 hours.
make the pecan topping
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt maple and brown sugar until it bubbles. Add in butter, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add in pecans and coat completely with mixture. Cook for 4-5 minutes more, until the pecans have absorbed most of the sugar and begin to look sticky.
- Remove from heat and place on parchment paper to cool. Once pie is cooled completely, top with maple pecans!