For the cake
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- zest of 2 lemons (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
For the coconut cream icing
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 15 ounces canned mandarin oranges (in light syrup), drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a springform pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, salt, and baking powder, mixing until combined.
- On low speed, alternate mixing in the flour and evaporated milk until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, whisk coconut cream and ream cheese until light and fluffy, then mix in powdered sugar.
- Place cake on cookie rack and pour icing over it. Top with mandarin orange slices.