for the roasted root veggies
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium fennel bulb, washed and trimmed, fronds reserved
- 4 to 5 carrots, washed and trimmed
- 2 medium beets, washed and trimmed
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
for the fennel and pistachio yogurt
- 1/3 cup shelled roasted pistachios
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- flaky sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Crush the whole fennel and cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle until just slightly broken.
- Cut the fennel bulb in half, and then into 1/4 inch slices. Slice the carrots into long juliennes, about 1/2 inch thick. Slice the beets into quarters or sixths. Slice the sweet potato into midsize wedges that are roughly the same size thickness as the beets.
- Place the fennel, carrots, beets, sweet potato, and shallots on the baking sheet in a single layer, mixing to distribute evenly. Drizzle with the oil, and sprinkle with the crushed fennel and cumin seeds, ground cumin, and salt. Toss to coat evenly.
- Roast for 40 minutes, rotating the pan and turning over the veggies with a spatula halfway through.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios and the reserved fennel fronds. Combine the yogurt, oil, 2 teaspoons of fennel fronds, and a few sprinkles of salt in a small bowl. Top with some of the chopped pistachios and the remaining fennel fronds, reserving some for the veggies.
- Serve the roasted veggies with yogurt, sprinkled with extra pistachios and fennel fronds.