- Yield: 15 cookies
- Yield: 15 cookies
for the ice cream
- 1 quart, softened
for the shortbread
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup Challenge unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
for the coconut caramel
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons Challenge unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
for the chocolate
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips (DARK, guys. semisweet and bittersweet will be too sugary)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
freeze ice cream
- Line a 9″x13″ baking pan with plastic wrap so that the sides and bottoms are completely covered. Place softened ice cream into pan, then push into pan with the back of a flat-bottomed pot until the ice cream has fully molded to the pan. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the confectioner’s sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla extract until creamy, about two minutes. Mix in flour for 20 seconds, allowing the gluten to form.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place a large piece of plastic wrap on a work surface. Place dough on top of plastic wrap, then place another large piece of plastic wrap on top. Using a rolling pin, roll dough between two pieces of plastic wrap to 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Use a 2.5 inch biscuit cutter to cut cookies and place them on prepared cookie sheets. Reform excess dough into a ball, then roll out again and cut more cookies. Should end up with 30 cookies. Use the open end of a large metal piping tip to cut out the middle of the cookies once on the sheet. They should look like donuts!
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes, then allow to cool completely on cookie sheet.
make coconut caramel
- In a small saucepan, heat the sugar on low heat until completely melted, swirling the pan gently every 20 seconds or so. Immediately remove from heat and stir in butter. The mixture will violently bubble. You’re doing it right.
- Pour in the heavy cream. Stir until combined. Stir in coconut flakes. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Time to get out the plastic wrap again! Place a large piece of plastic wrap on work surface. Pour caramel on top of plastic wrap, then place another large piece of plastic wrap on top. Using a rolling pin, roll caramel between two pieces of plastic wrap to 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Use biscuit cutter to cut out circles of caramel. Place on cooled shortbread, using a finger to push through the center.
melt the chocolate
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil over a double boiler until melted. Dip the bottom of each cookie into melted chocolate, wiping excess chocolate on the side. Place cookies onto parchment paper. Once each cookie is dipped, drizzle with remaining melted chocolate. Allow chocolate to harden completely.
- Take ice cream out of freezer. Remove ice cream from baking pan, then use biscuit cutter to cut ice cream into circles. Sandwich between two cookies. Serve immediately, or freeze in a container for up to a month!