Whole Wheat Ginger Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Yield: 9 large or 16 small bars 1x
for the dough
- ½ cup salted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
for the blueberry layer
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8″x8″ glass pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars for 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract for another minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and ginger. Stir flour mixture, along with oats, into the wet ingredients.
- In a third bowl, mix together blueberries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Place half of the dough into prepared pan, spreading to the edges. Pour in blueberry mixture. Break remaining oatmeal batter into pieces and place over blueberries.
- Bake for 30 mins, or until a knife inserted in the center of the bars comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before serving!