Well, y’all, we’re over the weekend slump. It’s Thursday, which means it’s basically Friyay.
I’ve been baking up a storm since getting back from traveling and it feels so good. I just love being in the kitchen and creating.
One of the things I whipped up this week are these Whole Wheat Ginger Blueberry Crumble Bars. They’re perfect as an after dinner treat with a glass of milk. And the whole wheat brings in a nice subtle nuttiness.
Plus it’s whole wheat so I feel a teensy healthier baking with it.
In other news, I wanted to share a few things I’ve been loving lately! Here goes:
Farmer’s market season means Farmer’s Market Goat Cheese Primavera.
I can’t stop laughing at this compilation of Sean Spicer’s Greatist Hits as White House Press Secretary. “It’s still upside-down.”
The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu. It’s riveting. I just love dystopian stories.
These dog wedding photos. What a pair.
This Pimm’s Punch would be perfect at a BBQ.
I just ordered this book from Amazon. Hello, summer beach read.
On the hunt for a great midi dress? Found.
These Levi’s 501 shorts are hands down my favorite for summertime.
This shaved asparagus salad is stunning.
Oh! Final words on today: I’m doing an Insta story q&a today where I’m answering common questions I get from readers. Do you have a question you’d like to ask me? Let me know in the comments below!Print
Whole Wheat Ginger Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Yield: 9 large or 16 small bars 1x
for the dough
- ½ cup salted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
for the blueberry layer
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8″x8″ glass pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars for 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract for another minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and ginger. Stir flour mixture, along with oats, into the wet ingredients.
- In a third bowl, mix together blueberries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Place half of the dough into prepared pan, spreading to the edges. Pour in blueberry mixture. Break remaining oatmeal batter into pieces and place over blueberries.
- Bake for 30 mins, or until a knife inserted in the center of the bars comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before serving!