for the cake
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (canola works, too)
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
for the frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons milk
- more poppyseeds, for outside
- edible flours for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line three 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour , baking powder, lemon zest, poppyseeds, and salt. Alternate pouring the flour mixture and buttermilk into the wet ingredients, mixing only until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the cake tester comes out mostly clean. Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, cream butter and cream cheese in a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Slowly add in powdered sugar and milk and mix for about 30 seconds on high speed.
- Frost the cake, adding about 1 cup of frosting in between each layer, using the remaining frosting for the outside of the cake. Sprinkle poppyseeds around the sides of the cake, then decorate with edible flowers!