Half-way to heaven peanut butter cookies

peanut-butter-cookies
This recipes is nearly all in halves, which makes it super easy to remember. It’s brought to you by my friend Mallory’s childhood nanny, who would make these for her growing up. I have to say, I’ve never been a fan of peanut butter cookies because they are too heavy-tasting for my palate, but the oatmeal in this recipe balances the strong peanut flavor to make it enjoyable for even the most un-peanut-buttery people out there. Good stuff.

For the cookies:

1 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey roasted peanut butter (you can find it freshly ground at Whole Foods. all it is is honey roasted peanuts ground into peanut butter, which gives it a slightly sweet, roasted honey flavor)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg

For the filling:

1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter*

Preheat an oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, mix the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix butter, both sugars, egg, peanut butter, and vanilla. Pour oat mixture into peanut butter mixture, stirring until just mixed. Place rounded teaspoonfuls of batter on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 2 centimeters between each one. Using your finger, pat dough down so they form small flattened circles. Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool completely on cookie sheet.

While the cookies are baking, whisk together the confectioner’s sugar and peanut butter until light and airy, about 5 minutes.

On a work surface, place half of the cookies upside down. Whisk the filling to lighten it. Dollop 1 tablespoon of filling into the center of each upside down cookie.  Place second cookie on top of filling and press together until filling just comes to the edges. Ta-da!

*do not use natural p.b. for this part- the frosting will come out thick and heavy

PS– check out Mallory’s blog, Savings and Cravings!

Comments

1. says

i love the addition of oatmeal in these cookies! def makes it more wholesome for sure! haha and ive never seen a recipe like this before…sooo many ‘1/2’s heheh.

2. says

My first batch was crispy ad it was deinitely good that way, but if you take them out before the cookies fully bake, because they are so delicate, they will continue to bake on the cookie sheet while cooling and end up perfectly moist and chewy.

3. Anonymous says

You have some awesome recipes on here girl! Its almost midnight and reading threw your blog. Came across this recipe never seen anything like it and wtf makes so much sense for pb lovers duh. Im about to pop out of bed and make these right now! Your sticky buns, beet cupcakes, moms cho.chips and apple pound cake are the next things im baking! Love your rainbow cake, very cheery! Thanks for sharing everything looks awesome!

4. Anonymous says

So just made these, omgosh they are rich! One note for people making these make sure you use no salt peanut butter or omit salt. On the westcoast of canada Ive never heard or seen of ‘honey roasted p.b’ regular p.b can subed just so salty if regular natural is used.

When I make then again I might blend the oats in the food processer to make them a bit finer. Also some oat bran, wheatgerm or groundflax would be good them to give more texture.

Since they so salty Im thinking of drizzling some chocolate on them. Which would also be good even if they wernt.

5. says

I just made these and they seem to be coming out extremely thin with small holes. . . yours look more substantial. I wonder what I did wrong? Husband says they are great (similar to oatmeal lace) so we will see how great they are with the filling!

• Anonymous says

learned from a food scientist to always refrig the dough for 24 hr. Most can be frozen in round shapes. If too thick, smash with fork. Great if you use old-fashioned oats. A teaspoonful of syrup (honey, maple, agave, corn) also keeps them moist.

6. says

Did you use quick oats? These will soak the liquids up more than old-fashioned oats. Also, make sure your peanut butter is drained of oil if you’re using a natural peanut butter. These things should help with the thinness. Otherwise, it’s probably a mixture of the temperature of your kitchen and your oven! Try experimenting with more flour to help bind the cookies better. Good luck, let me know if this changes things!

7. Amy says

I’m another one who found these on Pinterest. They are AMAZING! Thank you for posting the recipe. It is the only pb cookie recipe I will make from now on. Hubby loved them too!

8. says

I’m working on these now!  I just drizzled some  honey along in with my “no-stir” NATURAL peanut butter.  I found that adding a pat of butter to the frosting helped smooth things out!  Mine are taking about 10-11 minutes.

9. says

These turned out great, great flavor, I added 1/8 cup of sugar to the cookie and used extra crunchy peanut butter. I’m adding this to my favorite list, thank you for sharing.

10. Anonymous says

we made these and i couldn’t believe how amazing they turned out!! everyone raved! i found this recipe on pinterest..so glad i tried it! next time- i might just make the cookies without the filling. (the filling makes the cookies really rich. good. but rich!) Excellent recipe!

11. Anonymous says

Amazing!!! Just made these. I did pulse the oats in the food processor as someone suggested – good idea. Only had natural PB so went ahead and used for frosting as well. It was heavier but no one seemed to mind

12. says

Made these today with hubby. First batch at 8 minutes didn’t set properly and were too soft. Left second batch in there for 10 minutes and they were much better. Added a little bit of vanilla to the frosting =). Will make again, but will make more adjustments.

13. says

Sorry… but these cookies are NOT ‘Half Way To Heaven Peanut Butter Cookies’! They are hands-down ‘ALL THE WAY TO HEAVEN PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES’! Seriously… these cookies are out of this world, by far the BEST cookies we’ve ever made! Bravo, bravo, bravo! Most def a regular recipe in our home for the REST OF MY LIFE! A M A Z I N G! Thank you for sharing this piece of heaven! :)

14. Anonymous says

Made these yesterday- the husband and I adore them. We put the peanutbutter filling plus some jam between the cookies for a wee bit fancier sandwich.

15. says

These cookies are amazing! The only change I made was I used Jiff (creamy) peanut butter (it’s what I had on hand) and followed directions exactly.

16. says

I had a peanut butter sandwich cookie at Mabel Bakery in Toronto that I could not stop thinking about for weeks (if anyone is a T-dot dweller, I suggest you hustle to the bellwoods location. One of Toronto’s best bakeries, in my book). I conveniently came across this recipe on pinterest and tried it immediately. I added some milk and butter to the filling as I only had natural peanut butter. The cookies were smaller than I expected – about an inch and a half in diameter. I baked them for 7 minutes. They turned out HEAVENLY, as promised, and tasted almost exactly like the one I had! The recipe is also really easy. Doesn’t use too many dishes, and it’s fast.

• says

You could mix a few tablespoons of honey, a few tablespoons of sugar, and extra chunky peanut butter together! The proportions you’d have to experiment with, but it should be a good quick fix!

17. Anonymous says

I made these and they were amazing. I used regular creamy peanut butter because I didn’t have the honey roasted kind. Everyone raved about them. This is a great recipe and definitely a keeper! Thank you!

18. Anonymous says

I doubled this recipe and got 35 sandwiches. The cookies themselves are fantastic without any icing mix. I used rolled oats and grinded them a bit before mixing them in. Yum.

19. says

I just made these cookies. I used regular peanut butter and included all other ingredients as listed. The cookies turned out great, as is. You could include a few chocolate chips maybe if you don’t go overboard, but really the recipe isn’t lacking at all. I am thinking this cookie would make nice ice cream sandwiches, as well. Listen to me, can’t leave a great thing alone!