Fluffy Double Chocolate Coconut Muffins made with coconut oil and topped with a coconut drizzle!
This post comes from both me and my sister, Rebecca. We’re finally living under the same roof after 6 years apart, and it’s so nice to be back together!
In fact, we just put in an application for an apartment together, but before it’s official I’ll just leave it at that 🙂
Anyways. Rebe (that’s what we call her) is an amazing cook. She has one of those minds that can take seemingly useless ingredients and make entire meals out of them. She’s resourceful, creative, and intuitive. For months I’ve been looking forward to spending time in the kitchen with her because she’s so damn good at cooking.
Today, the first day we’ve baked together since I’ve moved back, we scoured through magazines and Pinterest for inspiration. Thanks to Rebe’s genius, I have a huge list of recipes that I’ll be baking in the coming weeks.
Every time I thought she had come up with her last idea, she’d go “Ooh! Ooh! What about [insert amazing baked good here]?”
Being a dessert blogger, it can be hard to come up with three unique, pretty, and delicious dessert recipes each week. It’s pretty refreshing to hear ideas from a fresh mind, and I actually found myself thinking in a different way, too.
Now, onto these Double Chocolate Coconut Muffins. They’re soft as can be, and have a sky-high crunchy top. They’re low in fat, and loaded with taste. The coconut drizzle is super flavorful and a wonderful compliment to the more subtle coconut in the muffins.
If you’re like me, be careful with the muffin tops. I keep going back for more. It’s the drizzle!
Stay up to date with all things Broma on:
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¾ cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 4 teaspoons heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup toasted coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease 9 muffin tins and set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the coconut oil and sugar on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg for another minute. Beat in the greek yogurt and vanilla extract until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Incorporate into the wet ingredients, mixing only until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Batter will be thick.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins, filling nearly to the top. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then turn oven down to 375°F and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before icing!
- To make the coconut drizzle, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. The icing should form small ribbons when you scoop it from the bowl. Drizzle some over the muffins, then top with toasted coconut flakes, then drizzle more on the coconut flakes.