These are them. These are the cookies of my childhood. I can’t even begin to describe them. When made correctly, they are the best chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever eat. When I was little my mom would pack them for me for lunch nearly every day. And nearly every day I’d end up with only one or two bites, thanks to my lunch pal’s beg “pleeeease can I have a little?” In middle school I learned to savor them after lunch, carefully hiding the cookies at the bottom of my lunch pack so my friends wouldn’t pester me for a bite. By high school they became known as “Katharine Canfield cookies,” after my mom, Katharine Canfield. As in: “Ohmygod. Are those cookies Katharine Canfield cookies?” So, yeah. Among my friends they’re kind of legendary.

For the cookies:

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup (packed) medium brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, softened or melted
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Secret ingredient*

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and vanilla together. Next, stir in the egg. Then, stir in flour. Last, add the chocolate chips and stir until well-incorporated.

On an un-greased baking sheet, dollop ping-pong-ball-sized bits of batter, leaving 1.5″-2″ between each cookie. Bake for 8-12 minutes. What’s more important, however, is that you take out the cookies a liiiiittle too soon, so they continue to bake once out of the oven and onto the cookie sheet.

With this recipe, make sure the measurements are exact. Especially on the flour. Too much flour will make the cookies puffy and they’ll loose their moist gooeyness.

*Muh mom’s love. I swear when she makes them they come out 3 times better. She’s got some golden touch or something… However if you don’t happen to have a Katharine Canfield lying around in your cupboard, then you can skip this step 😉

you mean Mrs. (Can)Field’s cookies?

I am always in the market for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe and, from the way you have described them, they sound life-altering fantastic. I am totally going to give these a shot. I will let you know how they turn out!

Hello! These cookies look very good, but I have a question: In the ingredients you have listed Baking soda, but in the directions you put baking powder. Which one should be used?

oops! baking soda! sorry for the confusion!

These cookies are PHENOMENAL – better than the NY Times “Best” Chocolate Chip Cookie. Thanks to you and your mom! I’ll be reposting with a link to your blog. 🙂

Wow, what a compliment! I’ll tell mum! They really are the best in the world….

Sarah,
I made these for dessert and it took me more than 5 minutes to lick the batter of spoon!!!! They’re fantastic, but I haven’t even had an actual cookie yet!! They’re going to be awesome,but I have to admit I find it the recipe doesn’t call for milk.Missing you!Hope to see you soon!

-Maeve

Oops! I find it ODD that ect,ect.

—–
——-

-Maeve

oh, and also I remember when I was little I came over and your mom let me eat one! I literally begged for another! After that they became a legend!!

-Maeve

Getting ready to eat one.. or maybe two… or three…

Oh! the one that’s above this one was me!

-Maeve

OHHHHH!!!!!! OH MY GOD!! OHH! NEVER HAVE I EATEN SUCH A GOOEY DELICACY!!!

-MAEVE

I just made these, and while they are delicious, they do not look like the cookies in the picture. Mine came out completely flat. I followed the directions and took them out a little early. Do you have any idea what I could have done wrong? Other than how mine look, they are absolutely yummy!

Stephanie,

The one thing about this recipe is that the cookies (for whatever reason) seem to come out a little differently each time. Sometimes I’ll add a little more flour (~3 tablespoons) to the recipe if the dough seems too sticky while I’m mixing it. Also, feel free to add another 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to ensure that the cookies rise enough!

Hello, how much is 1 stick of butter
thanks!

hello!
i tried making these today, and followed the recipe to a t, but my cookies came out reeeaaallly soft! like when i held them up they would slowly start to break apart. also, they ended up quite flat. are they supposed to be this way? your picture makes them look so crunchy and thick! d’you have any idea where i went wrong? thanks!

Oh sigh. I just read through the comments (after I made the cookies, of course) and mine, too, fell victim to the flat, floppy texture. After baking the first 8 or so cookies, I added several tablespoons of flour to the remaining batter and though it helped thicken them up a little bit, they were so far from your incredible-looking cookies–very brown, wrinkly and flat. They reminded me of the cookies I used to make with my family when I was younger, so I definitely wasn’t toooo disappointed, butttt…do your cookies ever turn out like that? I am just so bemused why the picture looks so different!