I’ve used this exact Martha Stewart recipe before in cupcake form, but I couldn’t resist posting it a second time because the cake is just so. freaking. good. I made it for one of my housemate’s birthdays and- well, that’s a lie. Another one of my housemates and I made it together. It was adorable. Anyways, it turned out absolutely fantastic. The cake is extra moist because it calls for oil and not butter, which is a huge plus. Oh, Martha, you never cease to impress me. Even given your incarceration…

Makes one, two-tiered 9-inch cake

2 teaspoons white vinegar

For the frosting:

12 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter two 9-inch cake rounds; dust with cocoa, tapping out excess. Set aside. Whisk together flour, salt, and cocoa in a medium bowl; set aside.

Mix sugar and oil on medium speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk until combined. Add eggs one at a time; mix well after each addition. Mix in food coloring and vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with flour, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.

Stir together baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl. Add baking-soda mixture to batter, and mix on medium speed 10 seconds. Mix in the hot water until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, 18 to 23 minutes. Let cool completely in pans on wire racks.

Once the cake is cooled, using a serrated knife cut off the convex tops from both cakes, leaving your cakes with flat tops. Crumble the discarded cake tops into tiny crumbs to be used as a garnish for later. Set aside.

While the cakes are baking, prepare the frosting. In a large bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, mix together the softened cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract. Add the confectioner’s sugar in batches until the frosting comes together and there are no lumps. Let cool in a refrigerator until the cakes are ready to frost.

Frost your cake as you normally would, using about a third of the frosting for between the two layers, the top, and the sides of the cake. Finally, sprinkle the cake crumbs around the sides of the cake, spreading evenly. YUHM SO GOOD.

Cake recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Wedding Cakes

send this to me in the mail por favor

Wow! Beautiful!

I don’t know why I find the cake romantic. Probably because it is a wedding cake to start with. I love the cake crumbs as decor, the red bits look so elegant on the white background.

if the cake tastes anything like the batter that is smeared all over my face, it is brilliant. thanks so much!

That cake looks like red velvet perfection! No wonder you stuck with that recipe.

Best thing ive ever made! Tysm for the recipe. Moist and just perfect!

This recipe is absolutely fantastic! I was looking for something similar to Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake (that uses boiling water)…which is so incredibly moist with tender crumbs. I’m going to play around with this recipe a bit to see if I can reduce the oil but still maintain the moisture and texture.

I’m all for lower-guilt content. Let me know how it turns out!

Hi Sarah, This really looks good. I’m just curious, the recipe posted in Martha Stewart’s Wedding Cakes website calls for 1 1/2 cups of canola oil but in your recipe it only requires 1 cup. Was Martha’s version just a typographical error?

I’m so excited to try this. :)Thanks you so much

love the color! great site! I really enjoy it!

I used your Recipe and loved it, I tweaked it here and there but overall it was a winner!

Wonderful red velvet cake and frosting! Made both a layer cake and cupcakes and they were a huge hit. Thanks!

Hi,

I have made this cake twice and followed the recipe to a T but both times the cake turned brown even though the second time i tried and put less cocoa….very disappointing ….. any advice?

Thanks

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Hi S.,

I’m sorry to hear that! It seems like the red food coloring you have may be the issue. I say this because 2 tablespoons of red food coloring is almost a whole bottle, and should absolutely turn your cake red! What type of food coloring are you using? I would make sure to buy a new bottle of liquid food coloring (not gel), and try once more!

Hope this helps!