Find out how this yoga-hating girl became a yoga super-fan!

Haaay everyone! I am so excited to bring you the yoga routine that made me like yoga (or as my sister’s friend suggested, “10 poses to get you nama-nasty”).

So a little background. I danced for 10 years as a kid, and I absolutely loved it. The movement, the transitions, and the music. It was like meditation to me; it transported me to another place where I stopped thinking and just… moved.

Throughout this time, I tried a few yoga classes here and there. But honestly, I thought it was so dumb. It felt static. I couldn’t concentrate. I was bored and annoyed at the same time. So I wrote yoga off completely.

The Yoga Routine That Made Me Like Yoga

My dislike for yoga was so strong that in college, Alex and I took a class where we had to give individual presentations on “what gives you energy.” We were sitting around, trying to come up with ideas for our presentations, when Alex said, “how funny would it be if you said yoga.”

It was ironic; I hated yoga so much, but it was the perfect subject to talk about creating energy. So I created a presentation where I lied and said I practiced yoga three times a week.

As I presented it to the class, I looked over to see Alex snickering the the corner. He thought it was hilarious. Our little lie. I looked up yoga studios in Ann Arbor, and said I went into the first studio that popped up on Google.

The Yoga Routine That Made Me Like Yoga

Then all of a sudden a girl in the class goes “Omg, I go there too! I actually work there!”

Alex almost lost it. I side eyed him as if to say don’t you dare laugh. I powered through it, saying how weird it was that I hadn’t seen her and oh my god don’t you love it so much?!

Grades came back a week later. I got an A. Alex and I laughed some more, and that’s the last I thought about yoga for months.

The Yoga Routine That Made Me Like Yoga

Then in the spring, I ran into one of my girlfriends on the street. She was looking super toned. “It’s yoga,” she told me. “Hot Vinyasa. I go 4 times a week and I’m obsessed.” Turns out, she had started only 6 weeks earlier, and already she had noticed dramatic changes in her body. Her arms were firm, her legs felt stronger, and her abs were tight.

Hearing her say she had started just weeks earlier piqued my curiosity. I had to give this hot vinyasa yoga a try. I decided right then and there that I would give it a month, forcing myself to go 4 times a week. And if after a month I didn’t like it, then I’d stop. No harm no foul.

The first three weeks were awful. It was SO hard. The studio I went to was known for classes that left you in a pool of sweat. Contrary to the yoga I had done previously, these classes were fast and intense. My arms hurt and I felt so exhausted that I needed to sit for a solid hour after class.

The Yoga Routine That Made Me Like Yoga

But as I kept with it, I found that this yoga was all about movement, going from one pose to another in definitive and purposeful flow. It was most definitely a form of dance, of moving your body and completely letting go of your mind.

And just like that at the three week mark, I felt my body craving the movement. If I skipped a class one day I felt tired and weary. The once torturous chatarungas became effortless. Standing postures were meditative. I was- gasp!- loving yoga.

The Yoga Routine That Made Me Like Yoga

I’ve practiced yoga for 4 years now. It’s the longest I’ve ever stuck with a workout routine. Even when I do a circuit workout, I always start with a few simple yoga flows to get my body warmed up. It’s truly a practice I’ve grown to love.

Now down to business. I’m sharing with you all three yoga flows that I do on a weekly basis. And I cannot stress enough: blast an awesome music playlist while you flow. It makes all the difference! Without further adieu, let’s do this!

The Yoga Routine That Made Me Like Yoga

This is a simple warmup to get the heat going in your body. I do this slowly, breathing in and out within every pose. Flow through this for 10 minutes, pausing when you feel tension and breathing into the discomfort. Focus on softening your edges and lengthening your body in each pose.

The Yoga Routine That Made Me Like Yoga

This is a longer flow, and should take up a lot of time on your mat. It’s designed to flow with your breath, so one pose will be done on the inhale and the next on the exhale. The result is a fast-paced flow that gets your heart rate up, and hopefully gets you lost in movement. Flow through 3-4 times on each side (should take 15-20 minutes).

The Yoga Routine That Made Me Like YogaThis third and final flow is all about slowing down and building strength. It works off of a lot of the poses you’ve already done in Balancing Flow. Instead of moving with each inhale and exhale, hold each pose for 5 breaths. It’s Flow through at least 2 times on each side.

As you go through each flow, listen to things that work and don’t work for your body. If standing postures are difficult for you, take them out. If you prefer more lunges, add some in! Yoga is all about connecting with your body, so do what serves you.

Once you’ve completed these three flows, take 5 minutes in Sukhasana with your hands at your heart. Bring your heart rate down by breathing slowly and with intention. End your practice with a bow forward, thanking yourself for coming to your mat, and thanking the universe for the ability to practice.

The Yoga Routine That Made Me Like Yoga

And a little PSA for all you yogis out there: in the photo of warrior 1, my leg is up. It should be down flat. Whoops! I just got too excited lol.

Photos by Hayden Stinebaugh. Makeup by Nancy Nguyen

Hi there! That looks like so much fun! Just a question… do you need to go to classes to learn how to do the poses correctly?
I’ve done a little bit of yoga by myself with video but always feel like I’m not doing it correctly and could do damage?!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Hi Wendy! Great question. Personally, I think it’s important to go to classes in the beginning for that very reason. When you are looking for the right studio, try to find one where the instructors do hands-on adjustments (you can call and ask before you go in). I would also look online for a few beginner videos on proper yoga form. Then once you understand the basics, you can start doing yoga in your home on your own. That’s my two cents anyways!

Thanks Sarah! Will definitely try that sometime soon :))

Advice for people new to yoga. I’ve been practicing for awhile and consider myself somewhere in between a beginner and an intermediate. It wasn’t until this year when I started practicing with Iyengar based yoga teachers who really knew there stuff when it came to teaching a class, safe alignment in poses to help you build confidence and strength from the ground up. for the first time in forever i found a place i love going to practice and learn movements and actions my body has forgotten from years of sitting. I highly recommend anyone to check out an Iyengar based yoga class. ?

remember when i used to hate yoga too? heheheh

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Seriously we must be related

Hot Yoga changed my life…I’m definitely addicted! Thank you for sharing this post.

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Isn’t it amazing?! So different and so cleansing! Thank you for following along Christa!

Love these posts you’ve been doing on your healthy eating and workout routines. So refreshing to see that you don’t need to do extreme eating or working out to maintain. Also, A++++++++ for the correct “piqued” (I’ve seen people write “peaked” so. many. times.) Where is your workout top from?

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Oh gosh, thank you Emily! So appreciate the love. The tank is from LuluLemon (here!) and I just LOVE it! I ordered a size down. Hope you enjoy!

I’ve been LOVING your lifestyle posts!! As a fellow food blogger, I feel like I’m still figuring this whole thing out so I really look to you for inspiration. Regarding yoga… I’ve had my love/hate relationship with it, but I’m eager to try these sequences that you’re recommending. Thanks so much for posting this!!! 🙂

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Thank you SO MUCH sweet girl. You are absolutely killing it, every time I go to your site I’m so impressed, so keep up the good work! I definitely recommend trying these, and if you can do it in a hot room, and with an awesome upbeat playlist! Honestly, I love doing Top 40, it’s so fun!

SARAH!! I cannot tell you how happy this post makes me. Finding a workout that I look forward to has been a real struggle this past year. The timing of this post is absolutely perfect, as I am now getting excited just thinking about trying these flows.

I am a dancer as well, and I believe that yoga will the perfect transition for myself as I move into college within the year. (Side note: I am 90% sure that I will make University of Michigan my home next year, so let me know what your favorite places in Ann Arbor are ;))

Sorry for the ramblings, but I’m a huge fan of all that you do. Keep up the awesomeness.

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU Maddie! I wholeheartedly think that as a dancer yoga is a fantastic way to keep up with movement in your daily life. And OMG please don’t hesitate to email me if you end up going to Michigan! I met Alex there, and we both absolutely loved it. I went to Center For Yoga for a few years, and then followed my favorite instructor, Risa Gotlib, when she opened up her studio Tiny Buddha. Both are fantastic and I can’t recommend them enough! Best of luck to you and don’t be a stranger!

What a great post Sarah! I have been meaning to get around to trying yoga, so you are giving me just the encouragement that I need. Thanks for sharing your 3 favorite yoga flows too. I’ll get moving!

Thank you so much Mary Ann! Happy to be of service 🙂

Love this!!!!

Thank you Jennifer!

If I can get abs like yours from yoga, then please tell me where to sign up ;). Thanks for sharing your routines with us!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Omg stop you are too kind! Thank you so much Laura!!!

You’re making me want to give yoga another try. I’ve tried so damn hard to get into it countless times and just can’t but hot vinyasa and an instructor that’s not trying to get me to be all “self-reflective” might be key 🙂

Sarah | Broma Bakery

That’s what I like about hot vinyasa- it’s less about the preachy-ness and more about individual movement.

Such and awesome post. You totally have me wanting to give yoga another try! Yeah, so excited!

Thank you friend!

Yep. I always felt that way about yoga too! Could not stop my mind wandering. Then walked into a hot studio and those chatarungas have me so focused on not face planting that there is no room for a wandering mind! Thanks for the great post!!!!

Ah Sarah I loved this post! I totally used to think yoga was “lame” too. I grew up dancing as well and didn’t have the patience to just stop for a second. But I then found this power yoga class (I actually didn’t know it was power yoga until a week later–ha!) and I was like “what in the world is this?!” It was such a challenge and I actually kind of loved it. I haven’t been back to yoga in months though. I need to schedule a class!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Right? Having that “power” component is so important. It makes ALL the difference! Schedule that class, girl!

Hey Sarah! I’m loving the posts on how to deal with being a food blogger, I personally am not one, but I am a baker and my love for food and lack of interest for exercise isn’t compatible. This sounds like fun!! After reading this post I tried to find someone who did this in my city and I’ve signed up for a month to try it out, I’m really excited about it, hopefully it is what I’ve been looking for, I haven’t been able to stick to any routines either 🙂

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Thank you SO MUCH Luli! Oh I cannot tell you how happy it makes me that this post inspired you, if only a little bit, to try and pick up a regular exercise routine. It can be so hard to push yourself to work out, especially after a long day on your feet, which I’m know it is as a baker. Let me know if you have any questions, and best of luck to you!

Love,
Sarah

Sarah, I saw this post a few weeks ago and I’ve been doing your yoga sequence 3-4 days per week ever since. It is such a great workout it is making me so much stronger and more balanced! Thank you so much for Sharing this with us! I’d love to see more of your yoga posts!!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Hi Lauren! Oh I am SO excited to hear that!!!! I can’t tell you how happy to makes me that you’re doing them so regularly! I will absolutely do more yoga posts in the near future 🙂 THANK YOU!

Yoga definitely changed my life! These sequences are perfect for when I can’t make it to the studio but still want to fit in some flowing! Thanks!

Juliette

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Thank you so, so much Juliette! Enjoy!

This is beautiful! There’s always that one moment when yoga suddenly is more than just a casual fling, it’s something I crave every day! This flow is just the thing to win beginners over.

juliette | https://namastaytraveling.com

Hi there! How do you transition to chatarunga in flows 1 & 2? Thx!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

For both you’ll bring your hands to the ground in a forward fold, then bend your legs and hop back to a plank. From there you push down into chatarunga!