I’m a huge fan of healthy snacks. Because I’m one of those people who eats every 3 hours and, like, loves snacks.
But so often, snacks from the store are loaded with sugar, fat, salt, or some combination of the three. So I prefer to make my own snacks at home.
Enter, energy balls (also called energy bites (also called YUM IN MY TUM)). Aka the raw, healthy snack typically filled with medjool dates and nut butter. I’m such a huge fan of energy balls, because I can take them anywhere, and they keep me satiated until dinnertime.
In fact, when Alex was on his night rotation this summer, I would make an entire batch of these every other day because he rarely had time to eat. It was a great way for him to get in protein and healthy fats, and keep him from crashing.
Energy balls, saving the doctors who save you since Summer ’18.
Anywho. These Chocolate Tahini Date Energy Balls are the latest in my energy ball repertoire. They’re made with only 4 ingredients, and are raw & refined sugar free.
They basically taste like a super fudgy truffle. With tahini. Because it’s Middle Eastern Month!!
This recipe doesn’t have protein powder in it, but if you’re looking to get in a little more protein, I’d suggest adding 1/3 cup to the recipe.
Alright friends, hope that this helps to get you through your Friyay. Loves you and happy weekend!
- 1 1/2 cups pitted medjool dates
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup high quality cocoa powder (I recommend Rodelle)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, for rolling
- In a food processor or high powered blender, puree the dates, tahini, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the processor a few times to make sure everything gets combined!
- Remove from food processor and roll into 1 inch balls. You might have to squeeze them in your hands a few times to get them as condensed as possible, then roll them between your palms.
- Roll the balls in about 1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks!