So, being honest, if you’re obthethhhhed with pumpkin, you should equally be obthethed with sweet potato.
Like I get that “Sweet Potato Spiced Latte” doesn’t have the same ring to it. And that sweet potatoes kind of look like orange alien poops. But they’re really delicious, and they deserve more baked goods.
Also I really like cupcakes that aren’t just flour + butter + sugar. Like, let’s have some roughage, am I right?
Sweet potatoes are amazing in everything, really. Sweet potato pie. Sweet potato fries. Sweet potato mash. Sweet potato soup.
So like why not a sweet potato cupcake? Especially when paired with lots of ginger and cinnamon for that spiced zing.
Alright so moving on from that rant, has anyone been feeling these winter blues? I’m finding myself so exhausted from the day by 4pm, right as it’s getting dark. It doesn’t help that I go outside for 2-3 hours a day with Tilly (Vizslas, man).
I’ve also noticing my anxiety up and my sleep quality feeling really poor. Like, is this just what winter does to a person? I mean, I work out almost every day, and eat healthy… why am I feeling so tired?
I’m even thinking about trying CBD oil (have you heard of it? Check out this NY Times article “Why Is CBD Everywhere” here).
Or, if there are things that you guys do to keep your energy levels, I’d love to hear. I’m all ears!
Alright, you guys. Happy cupcake making. Happy winter (ew). Happy Friday.Print
Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
for the cupcakes
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
for the frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- caramel sauce, for drizzling (optional)
- pecans, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 cupcake molds with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix the sweet potato puree, sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until well-combined. Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt, mixing only until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into cupcake liners. Bake for 15 minutes, then allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter in a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment for about 1 minute. Add in the cream cheese, beating for another minute. Add in powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt, beating until the frosting is nicely whipped, about 30 seconds more.
- Place 3 tablespoons of frosting over each cupcake, and use the back of a knife to smooth it out. Drizzle on caramel and top with crushed pecans!