I’m new around here, so let me take a moment to introduce myself. I’m Sofi, Tilly’s new friend and Sarah’s new assistant.
You’ll find me in the kitchen most days testing out recipes or chasing Tilly around the apartment. Usually both.
We’re going to get to know each other real soon, I PROMISE, but first we need to talk about these vegan chili cheese dogs.
I’ll start with a confession: I really don’t like football. Give me a basketball, soccer, or hockey game and I’m all for it. But football is just not my thing.
No one said you have to enjoy football to enjoy a good Super Bowl party though.
Every year for the Super Bowl I go all out, becoming the biggest bandwagon fan in the name of fried chicken, nachos, and football shaped rice krispie treats. I’m not paying attention to the touchdowns–it’s all about the SNACKS.
This year I’ll be focusing on these VEGAN hot dogs.
So how exactly do you make a chili cheese dog (read: meat and cheese) vegan?
A lightly toasted pretzel bun, vegetable loaded chili, soy-based hot dog, and homemade cashew queso come together quickly to make this plant based hot dog. And let me just say: both Sarah and I LOVE meat. And we were huge fans.
The real star here is the ridiculously creamy cashew queso. Imagine queso, but dare I say…better!? This stuff is UNREAL. I would put it on anything. Like really anything.
How do you make queso without cheese?
As a lactose intolerant girl who loves cheese, you best believe I’ve done my research on this.
The creamy dreamy texture comes from soaked cashews and the cheesy flavor is all thanks to nutritional yeast. I know, I know, how can yeast be cheesy? It sounds weird, but even Alex liked it. And his favorite food is pizza.
Nutritional yeast is known for its signature “cheesy” taste, not to mention the fact that it’s packed full of good for you stuff like B vitamins.
Combine that with the perfect blend of smoky spice and you’ve got yourself a damn good queso.
Vegans and meat-eaters, die-hard and fair weather fans–these are sure to please everyone this Super Bowl season. Wait until the Super Bowl or, better yet, serve ’em up this weekend with a cold beer and french fries.
Vegan Chili Cheese Dogs with a creamy cashew queso so good even the most discerning meat-eaters will be impressed.
For the chili cheese dogs
- pretzel buns
- vegan hot dogs
- 1 can of vegan chili (we used Amy's!)
- 2 jalapeños, sliced thin
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- cilantro, for garnish
For the cashew queso
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
For the queso
- Soak the cashews for 15 minutes in boiling water until soft.
- While the cashews soak, in a small bowl stir together all the spices and salt.
- Drain cashews and transfer to a blender or food processor. Add in the spices, nutritional yeast and almond milk. Blend until creamy.
- Once ready to serve, place in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 15-30 seconds. Mixture will thicken even more after being heated.
For the hot dogs:
- Prepare vegan hot dogs according to the directions on the package.
- While the hot dogs are cooking, slice open the pretzels buns and heat a greased pan over medium heat. Lightly toast the buns.
- Heat the chili up in a microwave safe bowl. While the chili is warming up, slice the jalapeños into thin slices and peel and chop the onion to desired size.
- Place the hot dogs in the toasted buns. Spoon the chili over the hot dogs and top with jalapeño slices and onions. Smother in cashew queso and enjoy the game.