Halfway through the work week love bugs. Do you know what’s keeping us alert and focused (and happy)? These insta-worthy White Chocolate Matcha Iced Lattes. YUM. Power through the rest of hump day with this sweet, green, caffeinated treat.
How to make a latte without a milk frother?
If you don’t have any fancy kitchen tools, don’t worry–you can still make this latte. Just a regular old blender will do the trick. Simply pour your milk into your blender (or your milk and matcha if you don’t care about that swirly beautiful milk pour) and blend at the highest speed. The result? Frothy bubbly milk you usually have to pay $5 for at a coffee shop.
Matcha vs Coffee?
Listen, I am an avid coffee drinker. So don’t expect me to completely hop on the matcha band wagon any time soon. That being said, I must say this green stuff is goooood. Matcha is made from finely ground tea leaves and delivers roughly 3 times the amount of caffeine as a regular brewed cup of green tea.
While a serving of matcha does have less caffeine than a cup of coffee, it tends to give you a less jittery and more sustained energy boost with no crash at the end. Sign me up.
How to get matcha to dissolve completely?
The key to getting an iced matcha without any flecks is dissolving the matcha in hot water. While there are lots of tools you can buy (like matcha brushes and whisks), we found that a traditional whisk worked just fine to break down the matcha when it was dissolved in a hot liquid.
If you’re still seeing flecks in your drink, you can also throw it in a high powered blender and blend on high. This will help to really break everything down.
Also. There are worse things than having tiny green dots in your latte, so if you can’t get ’em all, don’t worry.
Now go stay caffeinated and crush the rest of this week!
See you on Friday with a new recipe.
White Chocolate Matcha Iced Latte
Creamy iced matcha lattes made with white chocolate for a hint of sweetness. Power through the rest of the day with this sweet, green, caffeinated treat.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 big matcha lattes
- 2 cups milk of your choice (we used coconut milk and it was delicious)
- 3 ounces white chocolate, roughly chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon high quality matcha
- 1/4 cup hot water (almost boiling)
- Fill two cups with ice cubes and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan heat the milk over low heat. Add in the white chocolate slowly, whisking constantly until chocolate is completely dissolved into the milk. Add in a pinch of salt and stir well. Take the milk off the heat and set aside.
- Dissolve the matcha by pouring a 1/4 cup of boiling water over the matcha. Whisk until it’s completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. If you still have specks in your matcha or if you just want to blend everything together add the matcha mixture to the chocolate milk now. Otherwise, divide the matcha between the two prepared cups.
- Place the milk in a blender and blend on high for one minute, or until the milk starts to froth and forms bubbles at the top. Pour over your matcha and ice and stir to mix. Enjoy!