This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is zesty, packed full of flavor and super easy to make! Loaded with corn, black beans, shredded chicken and topped with crunchy baked tortilla strips, it’s the perfect warming and hearty weeknight meal. Better yet, you can make it in your Instant Pot or slow cooker, so you can make it on a whim for the best homemade soup!
The Best Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Now I know we mainly specialize in desserts, but believe it or not, we do eat real food occasionally. And this quick, flavorful and easy chicken tortilla soup is one of the best weeknight dinners to throw together in a pinch! This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla soup comes together in 30 minutes and is packed full of protein and hearty veggies! Top it off with crunchy baked tortilla strips, greek yogurt, avocado, and cotija cheese for an easy, gourmet meal at home!
What is Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup is a Mexican soup traditionally made with chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, black beans and topped with crunchy tortilla strips! It’s zesty, packed full of flavor and super easy to make! Its a warming, hearty, and healthy weeknight dinner with a powerful protein punch from black beans and lean shredded chicken.
Ingredients for Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup recipe requires minimal ingredients that come together into a spicy, flavorful soup!
- Chicken: Shredded boneless chicken breast makes this soup hearty and filling. Make sure you cut the chicken into bite sized pieces! Looking to cut down on prep time? Buy a rotisserie chicken or precooked chicken from the store!
- Jalapeños: If you like it spicy, add more jalapeños for a spicy punch, or go down on them for a milder flavor!
- Peppers: We love to use green peppers in this chicken tortilla soup recipe, but any variety will do!
- Cilantro: Cilantro really brightens and deepens the flavor of this easy weeknight recipe. We recommend getting fresh cilantro for the best results!
- Garlic: Garlic is life. Don’t skimp on the garlic in this chicken tortilla soup!
- Enchilada Sauce: Store bought enchilada sauce is a quick shortcut to cut down on prep time in this easy recipe. We love Frontera’s!
- Taco Seasoning: Premade taco seasoning makes it easy to season this soup. Simply pick up a packet in the Mexican aisle of your grocery store!
- Chicken Stock: Chicken stock will create the bulk of this soup. If you’re looking to make it vegetarian, swap, the chicken broth out of vegetable broth and replace shredded chicken with tofu!
- Black Beans: Black beans add additional protein to keep you feeling full all night long.
- Corn: Use frozen corn to make things easy. The corn adds a sweet, juicy punch to this soup!
- Tortillas: Toast your tortilla strips for a healthy, crunchy topping!
How to store Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup comes together in about 30 minutes and serves 4 to 6 people, but if you’re looking to make it ahead or store some leftovers we have you covered:
- Make and freeze ahead: Even though this soup is super easy to make, sometimes it’s nice to be able to just pop something out of the freezer for dinner. You can prep this soup in advance and freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months!
- Save the toppings: Top the soup with whatever toppings you desire (tortilla strips, avocado, etc.) when you are ready to eat it! When you’re ready to eat, toast up your tortillas and prepare the toppings!
If you’re looking for a quick, healthy and easy dinner recipe to make tonight, look no further! Enjoy this Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup. It pairs nicely with a margarita 🙂Print
Chicken Tortilla Soup
This easy chicken tortilla soup is zesty flavorful and packed full of protein. It’s Instant Pot friendly and comes together in 30 minutes making it the perfect dinner to throw together in a pinch!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: mexican
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 30 oz black beans, drained
- 15 oz canned corn, drained
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 18 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 can hatch chiles
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 flour tortillas, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Salt and oil the chicken breasts, then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked completely through. Allow to cool slightly before shredding with two forks (alternatively, you can shred chicken in 10 seconds in a standing mixer with a whisk attachment!). Set aside.
- Turn InstantPot onto the sauté setting. Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the bottom of the pan. Sauté the chopped onion, red and green peppers until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the cilantro, jalapeño, and garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Without mixing, add in black beans, corn, chicken stock, enchilada sauce, hatch chiles, chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and salt (this will help it to create steam, which is good for cooking). Place lid onto Instant Pot and turn to manual mode for 15 minutes. Once the cook time is over, allow to release naturally for 10 minutes before opening the valve and the lid.
- While the soup is cooking, make the tortilla strips. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread the tortillas slices into an even layer. Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes or until golden brown! Allow to cool before using.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, sprinkle with tortilla chips and then serve! Some of my favorite toppings include sharp cheddar cheese, greek yogurt, avocado, and jalapeño!
- If you’re looking to prep ahead, make the chicken in advance! You can also use a store bought premade chicken to cut down on time!
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup, instantpot chicken tortilla soup