MG_2710

I’ve been wanting to make fudge for a while. But the last two times I was at the grocery store I bought evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk on accident. The first time I wasn’t thinking, and the second time I actually thought I should be getting for evaporated milk. So I wind up with a shit ton of evaporated milk in my cupboard, and all I can think is, naturally, “welp, I may as well try using it up.” I tried making various recipes with my copious amounts of evaporated milk in place of sweetened condensed milk. I was convinced I could make it work. And because sometimes even when I look online and learn things, such as evaporated milk cannot be substituted for sweetened condensed milk, I am skeptical. SO flash forward, both times the recipes absolutely failed. Miserably.

I mean regardless I still ate it all whatever who cares. But case in point: you absolutely cannot substitute evaporated milk for sweetened condensed milk.

For the fudge:

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz bittersweet chocolate chips (you want to use a good quality)
1 cup Nutella, room temperature
3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
Course sea salt
Extra softened butter, for greasing pan

MG_2709

Grease the bottom and sides of an 8×8 baking pan with butter. Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overlap on the sides.

In a medium glass bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, bittersweet chocolate chips, Nutella, and butter.

Form a double-boiler by setting the bowl on a medium pot of gently simmering water. The water level should be low enough that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir until the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread the top smooth with a spatula. Refrigerate until the fudge. *After about 1 hour of chilling, I sprinkled the top with course sea salt. If you use fine salt then you may want to wait until the fudge is fully firm or the salt is disappear (many who made this recipe noticed this). Continue to chill for fudge for another hour (making the minimum time needed to chill 2 hours.)

Using the overhanging parchment paper, lift the fudge out. Peel off the parchment paper.Run a knife under hot water, dry it off, and cut the fudge into 3/4-inch squares -the hot knife helps make clean cuts. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.

Recipe from Curious Country Cook

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. By george, I think she’s got it! And yes, I apologize in advance for channeling my fair lady but….mmm. Nutella. Sea salt. In fudge form. You have my heart!

1. That fudge looks next level awesome.
2. I sometimes use evaporated milk in my creamy soups. I only mention this in case you should end up with… a few extra cans.

looks scrumptious. Evaporated milk whips up easily, you can use it for making icecream (just whip it till thick, add a little fine sugar and some delicate flavouring such as rosewater, put it into the icecream maker, and voilà.

Could you microwave the mix instead of the double boil method I wonder, and if so, for approx. how long?

Yes, I microwaved it for 1 minute to start, stirred it, then 30 second increments (stir in between) for a total of 2 minutes.

Amazing idea! One question – Why is the pan buttered if paper is used to line the pan?

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Deb, if you microwaved the mix, I would do it at 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring in between each heating. This should prevent anything from overheating and seizing up!
Lane, as to buttering the pan, the fudge becomes hardened to the paper, and the paper almost suctions itself to the glass once the fudge cools. The butter provides a smooth and greased surface so the fudge and parchment slide right out!
Happy baking, ladies! Let me know if you have any other questions.

14oz can of sweetened condensed milk?? The cans I find are all 300ml or 10.5 oz? Just wondering if the standard eagle brand is what you used.
Thanks

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Yes, I used eagle brand! Their standard can is 14 oz (396g). Are you in the USA? It might be different abroad!

The recipe looks good but I’d rate the level of your blog as below average. Why do you have to use profanity to tell us about your mistake? Just saying that, for me, it lowers the value of what you write.

literally just commenting to tell you that this is her blog, meant for her to express herself however she pleases. If she expresses herself with profanity then she will, she doesn’t need you acting as the blog police.

Hi Sarah,

Love your recipes.

I live in the UK and have a quick question regarding the quantifies of the Nutella and the butter. Is there a possibility you can give me the weights in Grams or Oz’s.

Many thanks,

Neil

I’m not a big fan of fudge, but when I saw this recipe, I had to try it. This was my first fudge-making attempt and I followed the recipe exactly–A-MAZ-ING. The only mistake I made was to make it the same day I intended to serve it (at the Thanksgiving dessert table). I made it in the morning, and it was still quite soft that afternoon. But the next day it firmed up and became exactly the right fudgy
texture. The sprinkle of salt takes it over the top. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Oh I’m SO glad you enjoyed it!! Yes, it definitely needs time to firm up. Thank you for sharing!!

This is delicious! I’ve not had the greatest success with fudge over the years- sometimes it’s chocolate concrete and other times it doesn’t fully set up, but I’ve made this twice this Christmas season, and it’s turned out wonderfully- just the right consistency both times. My neighbors, coworkers, and family have all loved it. Thanks so much for sharing such a great recipe- it’s destined to be a holiday classic at our house!

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Oh I’m so glad to hear that, Janis! Thank you so much for commenting to let me know!!

Merry almost-Christmas!

Can I substitute the chocolate chips with something? Or leave the out altogether?
I’ve seen a lot of fudge-recipes where that’s an ingredient, but the type of semi-sweet morsels you have in America aren’t to be found where I live.

Thanks in advance

Sarah | Broma Bakery

Hi Hege! Yes, you can substitute them for 8 ounces of bittersweet chocoalte!