Chocolate chip cookie dough frosting sandwiched between giant chocolate chip cookies. Heaven.
Happy Monday once again! How’s everyone’s week starting off? My mom (Katharine Canfield, the original baker and best mom in the world) is coming to town this Sunday, so I’m just waiting around all week for that to happen. Cannot waaaaait
Speaking of which, everyone knows that Katharine Canfield Cookies are the best cookies on the planet. The only thing that could make them better? Stuffing cookie dough in the middle of ’em. And that’s precisely what I did this week. It was insane. Just pure madness. I tried so hard not to eat a whole one, but it was just too easy. Then I got a sugar crash and sat (slumped) on my couch for a while. Was it worth it? I say a resounding YES.
I know I’m supposed to be all over Thanksgiving recipes right now, and I’ll get back to those shortly, but I just had to post these cookies. You know what? You can totally be the avant-garde family member that brings these to Thanksgiving. Be like hay guuuys I brought Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwich Cookies. Heck, with all those pies and stuff around they’d stand out, to say the least.
But seriously, how beautiful are they. I studded mine with extra chocolate chips around the edges because, diet.
I posted a picture of these cookies on Instagram last week, and I got the most likes I’ve ever received on a photo. People went nuts. I hope you guys like them as much as Instagram did!!
And if you haven’t heard, I’m hosting a giveaway that ends this Thursday! Click here and scroll to the bottom of the post to enter to win a $40 Amazon Gift Card! It could be YOU that weeens!
That’s all for now, loves. XO.
For the cookies
- 1 cup white whole wheat pastry flour (I used Bob's Red Mill) (can also substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup light (or medium) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the cookie dough
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup light (or medium) brown sugar
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini chips would be ideal!)
- Melt the butter in a medium bowl. Stir in sugar, egg, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch until combined. Fold in flour, stirring until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Once dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Using a ¼ cup cookie scoop, scoop the cookies onto the cookie sheet, leaving at least 1½ inches in between each dough ball. Depending on the size of your cookie sheet, you may have to bake two batches.
- Place in oven for roughly 12 minutes, until the cookie edges begin to turn golden brown. Allow to cool completely before assembling cookie sandwiches.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the frosting. In a standing mixer, whip the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in all of the remaining ingredients besides the chocolate chips and mix on medium-high speed until combined. Depending on the consistency, you may need more or less heavy cream. Add a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Remove from mixer and fold in chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Assemble your cookie sandwiches by spooning frosting onto the bottom of one cookie, then placing another bottom on the other side. Eat & enjoy!