A one-bowl wonder that tastes waaay better than boxed brownies. You’ll never reach for another boxed brownie mix again!
My name is Sarah and I am a brownie addict. Brownies are my favorite dessert. Possibly my favorite food. As some of you know, I even strongly considered making every Wednesday post a brownie post.
(It took all my restraint not to).
So creating a new brownie recipe is a big deal for me, because if I don’t come up with something next to perfect, I get frustrated. In fact, I threw out an entire batch of brownies yesterday because they just didn’t measure up. And I’m not even mad about it.
Lucky for you all, I finally came up with a recipe that passed the test. They’re soft, fudgy, moist and they just melt in your mouth. In fact, I think I baked them 2 minutes too long, so when you make them be sure to take them out a few minutes early and you’ll have the most magnificent fudgy brownies.
Why are these brownies better than boxed brownies? Well, many reasons.
1) They don’t come from a box
2) They take 10 minutes or less to go from nothing to a pan full of brownie batter in the oven
3) They are a one bowl wonder, meaning you only need one bowl for the entire recipe
4) They taste as good if not better than any boxed brownie mix out there
Is anyone else as crazy about brownies as I am? Or if brownies aren’t quite your thing (gasp), what dessert is your I-must-have-it-and-it’s-my-favorite-beyond-favorite?
I asked Alex that question and he said, “skittles.”
I just shook my head at him.
He then changed his answer to brownies.
Better Than Boxed Brownies
I used dutch cocoa for a deeper color, and bigger chocolate chips in the batter for an added richness.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 9 large brownies 1x
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Remove from microwave, stir in sugar, and melt both for 30 seconds. Stir again and melt for 60 seconds more. You want the sugar and butter to bubble up slightly, but not burn. This amount of time should do the trick.
- Remove mixture from microwave and stir in bittersweet chocolate. This should melt the chocolate completely. If it doesn’t, put it in the microwave for another 15 seconds. Whisk in all other ingredients except chocolate chips. Gently fold in bittersweet chocolate baking chips.
- Pour batter into a parchment lined 8″x8″ pan. Sprinkle with semi-sweet chocolate chips. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan and cutting into 9 large squares.