My favorite blondies recipe gets a twist with Gluten-Free Blondies. Because you can have your gluten-free, and eat it too!
-No glutens were harmed in the making of these blondies-
Growing up, my mom was known around town as a great baker. There was hardly a lunch packed without a brownie or a piece of coffee cake. When friends came over, there were always cookies on the counter or in the fridge (Mum loves cold CCC’s). And you can bet that when there was a birthday, my mom made the cake.
Sarah’s birthday = chocolate cake
Rebe’s birthday = carrot cake
Mum’s birthday = coconut cake
I knew from an early age that my mom was a talented baker. I can vividly picture sitting at a middle-school lunch table, unwrapping my brownie, and hearing the familiar quiet question:
Can I have a bite of your brownie?
And on and on until everyone at the table had a scrap of brownie in their hand… myself included, seeing as I had given almost all of it away.
One of our favorite recipes by Mum was Blondies. The texture of a brownie with the flavor of a cookie. What’s not to love? They were a staple and in the regular rotation of desserts in our household.
Their texture is soft and chewy, yet with a crispy top. They’re loaded with thick dark chocolate disks that melt in your mouth. And these gluten-free blondies have- you guessed it- zee-ro glutens in them.
Now, want to make this not-gluten-free? Totally doable! Just substitute the gluten-free flour for an equal amount of all-purpose flour.
Either way, you’ll end up with a dessert that will have your boyfriend/girlfriend/roommate/spouse/child/friend/dog/belly begging you for more.
Gluten Free Blondies
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 9 blondies
- 1 cup Gluten Free Flour (I used King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate baking disks/chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8″x8″ baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla during last minute of mixing. Turn mixer speed to low and mix in flour, baking soda, and salt until just combined. Remove from standing mixer and fold in chocolate chips.
- Place dough into baking dish and smooth using the back of a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center of the dough comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan and cutting into 9 squares!