Salted Caramel Skillet Brownie: the fudgiest brownie laden with homemade salted caramel and baked in a caste iron pan!
If I could be friends with any day of the week, it would be Friday. He’s (she’s?) optimistic, forward-thinking, and always ready for a good time. But he’s also a hard worker, putting in his hours before taking relaxation time.
Friday wears t-shirts and jeans, likes happy hour, and takes weekend getaways. And Friday LOVES brownies. Friday and brownies are, in fact, bffs.
Because, dropping this metaphor, what could be better than making brownies on a Friday, knowing all you have for the next two days is total enjoyment? Not much, friends. Not much.
And these Salted Caramel Skillet Brownies do not disappoint. As I was eating them last night, I looked up at my mom and said “these may be the best brownies I’ve ever had.” Then today she said “Sarah, those were the best brownies I’ve ever had.” Guys, they’re soooo good!
The brownie is my fudgiest brownie recipe, and the salted caramel is out-of-this-world delicious. And being baked in a skillet, they develop this amazing crust that you otherwise wouldn’t get with a normal brownie pan. Topped with more flaked sea salt and you’ve got yourself one serious brownie.
Best yet? Since it’s in a skillet, you can nibble away at however much you want. None of this even squares business where if you cut a little slice out of one everyone can tell.
Hope you all have wonderful weekends. We’re headed out to my sister’s graduation in upstate New York. Follow along on:
For the salted caramel
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp, cut into tablespoons
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, room temp
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (I used a finely-crushed pink Himalayan sea salt and it was fantastic!)
For the brownies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- flaked sea salt, for garnish
Make the caramel
- In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Use a spatula to occasionally stir the sugar, getting to the bottom of the pan. At first the sugar will be lumpy, but will soon melt and start turning a brownish color. Don't stir too often, just enough to keep everything evenly cooking.
- After 5 minutes, the sugar should become fully melted. Once it becomes a dark amber hue, remove from heat immediately and stir in butter. The mixture will violently bubble. You're doing it right.
- Use your spatula to stir the butter and sugar until they melt together completely. This can take 1-2 minutes.
- Next, pour in the heavy cream and sea salt. You can use 1 to 1½ teaspoons, depending on how much saltiness you like. Use your spatula to stir until everything is combined. Place back on the stove for about 30 seconds, stirring the whole time. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Make the brownies
- While the caramel is cooling, preheat oven to 350°F. Heavily grease a large skillet with butter and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the butter. Stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt. Once combined, fold in cocoa powder and flour.
- Pour a little over half the brownie batter into the baking dish, spreading evenly to the edges. Pour ½ of a cup salted caramel over the brownie batter, spreading evenly but not quite to the edges. Spoon the rest of the brownie batter over the top, sealing as much of the caramel in as you can! If a little pops out, that's OK.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before drizzling with more caramel (use your discretion, you don't need to use it all up) and topping with flaked sea salt!