Three words: Hot Chocolate Pancakes.
When I think of hot chocolate, I think of 6 year old me in second-hand snow pants and rented ski gear. I’m holding a piping hot cup of cocoa while waddling around a ski lodge, trying my best not to spill all over my jacket.
I’ve filled the cup to the absolute brim and topped it with as many marshmallows as could fit. I savor each sip, from the ones in the beginning that burn my tongue to the last drops that I furiously shake out of the cup and into my mouth.
In all seriousness, I think that I enjoy ski trips half for the skiing and half for the hot chocolate.
And you can’t have one without the other. Hot chocolate doesn’t taste nearly as good without hours of skiing put in. And skiing is bitter cold without a piping cup of liquid chocolate.
First there was salt + pepper.
Then eggs + bacon.
Now it’s skiing + hot chocolate.
I typically jump at the opportunity to make a delicious breakfast during the holidays. It’s like my opening act for dessert later in the day. And creating memory-inspiring baked goods is my favorite thing.
That’s why I’m partnering International Delight to bring you these delectable hot chocolate pancakes. And no, that doesn’t mean chocolate pancakes. That means pancakes made with a rich dark hot chocolate.
This hot chocolate is perfect because it doesn’t require any mixing or toiling over the water to milk ratio in your hot-choc. Just open the carton and you’re good to go. It makes these pancakes almost custardy in consistency and cuts your pancake-making time in half.
Of course it couldn’t be called hot chocolate pancakes without fudge sauce and marshmallow. My fudge sauce is dark and creamy, and creates a perfect touch of sweetness atop the pancakes.
Be sure to pick up a carton of International Delight’s Dark Hot Chocolate on your next trip to the grocery store for an easy & delicious holiday treat!
For the pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups International Delight Dark Hot Chocolate
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the topping
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
- Heat a griddle over medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine dark hot chocolate, egg, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir wet ingredients into dry until just mixed (do not overmix!).
- Pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake into pan. Cook for 2 minutes, or until pancakes just begin to harden around edges. Flip and continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
- To make the fudge sauce, combine chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk slowly until completely combined, then pour into gravy boat or cup with spout. Pour over pancakes and top with mini marshmallows!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.