Typically January is the time when people focus on healthy eating. But in my humble opinion, winter calls for rich, delicious food to get us through the cold months. It’s just science.
So while I will be featuring some delicious healthy foods on the blog this month, more than anything my goal is comfort food. Food that makes you feel warm inside. Food that makes you want to rip off your work clothes, hop into sweats, and enjoy a big meal on the couch while watching the new winter TV lineup.
Of course being a food blogger my work clothes are sweats, but I’m definitely an outlier.
What could be more delicious on a cold night than a huge mug of hot chocolate? Oh, just PEANUT BUTTER HOT CHOCOLATE. And even better? It’s vegan.
Not that anyone can tell. This vegan hot chocolate is so rich and creamy that no one will notice it’s made with almond milk. With vegan hot chocolate, it’s all about the presentation. So In addition to a spoonful of peanut butter mixed into the drink, creating the most thick and delicious hot chocolate ever, I drizzled peanut butter on the inside of the mug.
How to make vegan hot chocolate
This peanut butter hot chocolate is crazy simple to make. I used almond milk for this vegan hot chocolate recipe, but you can use any milk you like (non-dairy or otherwise). Just keep in mind that the milk should be unsweetened and should be a flavor that will go nicely with both the cocoa and peanut butter. If you only have sweetened non-dairy milk on hand, omit the agave in this recipe to avoid a sugar overload.
To make this creamy vegan hot chocolate, pour the almond milk into a saucepan over low heat. You’ll need to heat the almond milk until it’s scalding, but not boiling. Stir often to avoid accidentally burning the milk. Then add in the chopped dark chocolate (make sure it’s dairy-free), agave, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Heat through until the chocolate has melted, and then stir in the creamy peanut butter.
Melt a little more peanut butter in the microwave, and then drizzle it inside the jar or mug you’ll be serving this hot chocolate in. Pour the vegan hot chocolate into your mug and top with mini marshmallows. If you’re feeling fancy, torch the marshmallows to brown them slightly, or enjoy as is!
Now let’s get back to the winter TV lineup. I’m currently obsessing over The Knick, Making A Murderer, and Transparent. Oh and of course The Bachelor.
What TV show would you like to cozy up to with this vegan hot chocolate?
A creamy vegan hot chocolate made with almond milk, peanut butter, and dark chocolate and topped with mini marshmallows. The ultimate winter drink!
For the hot chocolate:
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (make sure it's dairy free)
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 splash vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegan mini marshmallows (such as Dandies)
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the milk until scalding but not boiling.
- Add in the chopped chocolate, agave, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Stir until chocolate melts fully. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter.
- Microwave 1 tablespoon of peanut butter for 15-20 seconds in a small bowl, then drizzle up and down the sides of a mug. Pour in hot cocoa, then top with marshmallows. Torch marshmallows using a small torch or by heating under broiler for 30 seconds!