In college, my mom racked up enough points on her credit card that she was entitled to a free gift. She didn’t want anything from the gift catalog, so she offered it to me and said to pick whatever 500 points got me.
Being me, I glossed over the off-brand Snuggies and walnut chess boards and went straight for the kitchen section. There, I found a pretty sweet deal: a slow cooker.
I had just enough points. So I ordered it. A week later my slow cooker came in the mail, and the rest was history. Thanks, Mom!
To this day I’ve used my slow cooker at least once a month. Slow cooking is, like, the most passive form of cooking, and yet it often yields the most delicious results.
My favorite thing to slow cook is chicken. It becomes this luxuriously juicy, flavorful meat that can be served in a variety of ways. Today I’m sharing a recipe for Slow Cooker Asian BBQ Pulled Chicken, and serving it with a cilantro purple cabbage slaw for crunch.
I made this chicken for a weeknight dinner, and loved how flavorful it was. And it made for fantastic leftovers, as well.
OMG! OK also my dear friend Davida of The Healthy Maven was kind enough to interview me for her podcast, That’s So Maven! We talked about how I started blogging full time, my thoughts on working for yourself, and some tips on how to run your own business. I’d absolutely love if you gave it a listen! I’ve been listening to all of Davida’s podcast episodes in the last few weeks, and I’m so impressed with her skills as an interviewer. Seriously, she is so talented.
You can download the podcast episode here, or you can search on iTunes for “That’s So Maven episode 9.”
Happy almost weekend!
for the asian chicken
- 3 pounds chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sriracha
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
for the cilantro cabbage slaw
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- In a slow cooker, mix all ingredients together, adding the chicken last. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours. After 3 or 4 hours, remove chicken from slow cooker and shred into pieces, either with two forks, or using this super easy method: place chicken into stand mixer with whisk attachment and turn on low speed. Chicken will shred within 20 seconds! It's brilliant.
- Anyways. Place chicken back into slow cooker and continue to cook for another two hours. Chicken is done when it's soft to the touch and not chewy at all.
- To make the cilantro cabbage slaw, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Can eat immediately, or place in a jar to pickle for up to a day (after that, the purple of the cabbage will release it's color).
- To assemble the sandwiches, toast your favorite burger bun, then top it with the asian pulled chicken, cabbage slaw, and slices of jalapeños (optional)