Disclosure: this post is sponsored by Blue Diamond. All text and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help make Broma possible!
If there is one dessert I’m determined to make happen, it’s bostock. You know, bostock; the sweet, rich brioche French toast dessert that’s approximately 10x better than regular French toast. Oh, you don’t know? It’s ok, I’ll tell you all about it.
What is bostock?
Picture this: thick-cut slices of brioche soaked in an orange-almond syrup, spread with a slightly sweet almond paste, and toasted to golden brown perfection before being dusted with powdered sugar.
OK ARE YOU WITH ME YET?
Unlike American French toast, bostock doesn’t use any eggs and there’s no skillet involved in this recipe. The thick-cut brioche slices are toasted in the oven—the outside goes slightly crispy and crunchy, while the inside is still soft and pillowy.
And unlike French Toast, there is no need for extra syrup, or silverware, or three pieces for you to even feel full. No, this one gorgeous slice has it all—sweetness from the syrup, umami from the almonds, and a caramelized crunch from the toasting. JUST WRITING ABOUT IT MAKES ME WANT IT AGAIN.
Plus, there’s no need for it to be served warm. Of course, it’s delicious warm, but bostock can easily be served warm or cold for easy entertaining.
Seriously, there are no bad things to say about this dessert.
What are you waiting for? Let’s bostock boogie.
Pro tip: can’t find brioche at the store? Challah will work well, too!
Meet Bostock: the thick-cut brioche dessert soaked in orange-almond syrup, topped with almond paste, and toasted to perfection.
- Fresh brioche loaf, cut into to eight 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup Blue Diamond whole, natural almonds
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon light rum
- 1 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange brioche slices evenly on pans, leaving 2 inches between each slice.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, sugar, orange zest, and almond extract. Cook until sugar dissolves completely, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a pastry brush, liberally brush both sides of each brioche with the sugar water. Each slice should be soaked completely. Allow to sit while you make your almond paste.
- In a food processor, pulse whole almonds until they form a fine meal, similar to the consistency of wet sand. Add in melted butter, sugar, flour, almond extract, vanilla extract, and rum and pulse until completely combined.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the almond mixture onto the soaked brioche, spreading to the edges of each slice. If using, top each slice with a sprinkle of sliced almonds.
- Bake for 15 mins, until the tops are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar before serving!