Every time I set out to create a new brownie recipe, I’m like there is no way this is going to be better than my last brownie recipe. And time and time again, yes way there is a way.
Case in point, these Secret Ingredient Bakery Style Fudge Brownies. They’ve got that stunning crackle crust that I just LOVE, and they’re, like, expensive rich.
You know, like they’re really rich. In flavor. Duh.
So let’s talk about what makes these brownies so rich and flavorful. It’s a secret ingredient you probably have in your pantry already.
Seriously, using a whole wheat flour makes these brownies so perfect. The slightest nuttiness imparts a deeper flavor than traditional all-purpose flour, making it my flour of choice in these brownies.
Now let’s talk specifics. I used Whole Wheat Flour from Bob’s Red Mill because it’s my favorite. And I’m SO RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED to announce that this is the first in a series of posts we’re doing together this year. Bob’s is such a fantastic company, and I couldn’t be more proud to work with them in 2018. Stay tuned for more awesome recipes together 🙂
Making these whole wheat brownies
You can whip up a batch of these brownies in about an hour with ingredients you already have in your pantry. I feel like this is the kind of thing most bloggers say, but I’m pretty much positive you have all the ingredients for these whole wheat brownies in your pantry already.
To make these babies, you’ll need high-quality whole wheat flour (duh), brown sugar, cocoa powder, butter, vanilla extract, eggs, and salt. You first need to melt the brown sugar and butter in the microwave until the mixture looks glossy. Then, add in the eggs and whisk it all together until the mixture lightens in color slightly.
Add in the rest of the ingredients, mixing until just combined. You don’t want to over mix the batter once you’ve added in the flour, as you don’t want your brownies to come out tough and chewy!
Bake these whole wheat brownies for a solid 45 minutes. To check when they’re done, insert a knife into the center and see if it comes out clean. When in doubt, it’s better to slightly underbake brownies than it is to overbake them!
But like for now, go make these whole wheat brownies. Then tell everyone you got them from a bakery and watch them believe you because they’re that good.
Bakery Style Whole Wheat Brownies so rich and chewy you'd swear they weren't homemade. But they ARE because you're a boss baker.
- 1 1/4 cups salted butter
- 2 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9"x9" pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and sugar. Microwave for 30 seconds, then remove and stir with a whisk. Repeat process 2 more times. Though granules of sugar will remain, the goal is to get the mixture to a glossy finish.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly, then add in eggs one at a time, whisking in between each addition. Whisk until the mixture lightens in color slightly.
- Add in cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla extract. Fold in flour until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and bake for roughly 45 minutes, testing for doneness by inserting a knife into the center of the brownies beginning at 40 minutes. It might take up to 55 minutes for them to cook through, depending on your oven!
More brownie recipes from Broma Bakery: