So as you probably know, I am NOT gluten-free. In fact, I would argue I’m extra gluten-tolerant. As in, when I don’t have flour and bread and pasta, I feel bad.
No like for real tho.
So when it comes to baking with gluten- and grain-free ingredients, I’m VERY picky. Like, just because something is gluten-free, that doesn’t mean it has to be tasteless… right?!
Case in point: Simple Mills. I was first turned onto these guys by my best friend Ambitious Kitchen when we baked with a few of their mixes for a post of hers years ago. I learned that Simple Mills is a baking company with an entire line of gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, paleo-friendly baking mixes.
Skeptic to gluten-free things, I didn’t know what to think. But it was truly love at first bite; I quickly fell in love with quite literally everything that Simple Mills makes. Their almond flour crackers have become my go-to for cheese boards, their artisan bread and pizza dough mixes make fantastic pizza crusts, and their muffin & cake mixes are versatile and delicious. Everything tastes remarkably homemade, and everything is made entirely with ingredients you can pronounce.
So today I bring to you a gluten-free, grain-free Peppermint Chocolate Donut topped with a dark chocolate ganache and crushed peppermint candies. I made them using Simple Mill’s Chocolate Muffin & Cake Mix.
These donuts are as delicious as they sound, and I just love that they can please gluten-free and gluten-loving folks alike. They’ll surely be on at least a few of my holiday brunch spreads this year.
You can find Simple Mills products at one of my fave stores (go figure), Target, here. And be sure to pick up a box of those almond flour crackers, too. You’ll love ‘em.
Without further adieu, I hope you enjoy these guys, and happy December!!!
For the donuts
- 1 box Simple Mills Chocolate Muffin & Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
For the peppermint chocolate ganache:
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large donut baking tray liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until well combined. Pour mixture into donut molds, filling ⅔ of the way up.
- Bake donuts for 15 minutes, then allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the ganache, melt the chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler (start with 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, adding the 4th tablespoon if the mixture is too thick). Once melted, remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract.
- Dip each donut into the peppermint chocolate ganache, shaking off any excess chocolate before placing back on cooling rack to set. Sprinkle donut with crushed peppermint candies. Serve!
This post is sponsored by Simple Mills. All text and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for continuing to support the brands who help make Broma possible!