In case you haven’t caught on from our last three posts (Apple Cider Donut Pancakes, Apple Babka, Caramel Apple Cake….), we’re kind of on an apple kick right now. Apple season is in full swing for us here, so we are baking up alllll the apple things we can dream of. Donuts, pancakes, tarts, pies, and MUFFINS. There are few things I love more than a good muffin, and believe me when I tell you that these Apple Carrot Muffins are some of my absolute favorite muffins we’ve ever made.
Insanely moist, perfectly sweet (but not too sweet), and topped with a crunchy, buttery streusel. These muffins are packed full of fresh fall flavor with a full cup of chopped apples stirred straight into the batter.
What ingredients do you need for apple muffins?
These apple carrot muffins are actually surprisingly super super easy to make. For the muffins, you’ll need brown sugar, eggs, butter, buttermilk, apples, carrots, shredded coconut, flour, baking powder, and salt. All pretty basic ingredients, and we don’t think you’ll have any trouble getting your hands on some good apples this time of year 🙂
Help! I don’t have buttermilk.
Well, guys, confession: we almost never have real buttermilk on hand. I honestly don’t know a single person who keeps buttermilk in their fridge. Lucky for you, it’s pretty easy to make a good substitution. Simply combine 3/4 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Stir to combine and allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the milk starts to appear curdled. And there you have it! Buttermilk!
How to store Apple Carrot Muffins:
These apple muffins keep well at room temperature for 3 days or freeze well up to 3 months! Keep them in a large plastic bag, covered on a plate, or in a sealed container to keep them moist as long as possible and prevent them from drying out!
What else are you making with all these fresh apples this Fall?Print
Carrot Apple Muffins
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 10 muffins 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
for the muffins
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup apples, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
for the streusel
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a muffin tin with 10 muffin cups, and spray the muffin cups with an oil-based spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the apples, carrots, and coconut until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing only until combined. Having a few lumps in the batter is totally fine!
- Set the batter aside and make the streusel topping. Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and mix well. Cut the butter in using a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Scoop the muffin batter into prepared muffin cups, filling just shy of the top of the cups. Sprinkle with the streusel and repeat until all muffin cups are full.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then, without opening your oven door, turn the oven down to 350°F and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: easy, fall, autumn, apple, apple desserts, fall fun, moist, delicious