I ruvv fall. Almost as much as I ruvv this cinnamon apple cake. The leaves are changing, the air is crisp, and the colder temperatures mean I can start wearing sweaters again. Oh, and it’s apple season. Apples. My favorite fruit. Crunchy, sweet, tart, fresh, and absolutely delicious. So naturally I jump at any opportunity to make apple desserts. Here’s a quick recap of my previous apple adventures:
And now to add to the list, this cinnamon apple cake! It’s super moist but also light, and makes a lot of cake, seeing as half of the volume is apples. So that means half the calories, right? No, who am I kidding. It means twice the portion size.
Apple roundup and a cinnamon apple cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 1 sheet cake 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
- 4 1/2 cups diced apples (roughly 3 apples)
- 3/4 cups medium brown sugar
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces plain or greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whole or slivered almonds to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a medium baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, and the rest of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, gently mixing the ingredients just until combined. Mix in chopped apples.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, making sure it is evenly distributed. Decorate the top of the cake with a handful of almonds.
- Bake in an oven for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the pan. Allow to cool completely before serving.