Bananas Foster Waffles made with vanilla ice cream, pecans, and caramelized rum bananas over a pillowy banana rum waffle. Yahm.
I’ve been wanting a waffle maker for the longest time. And for the longest time, I’ve procrastinated getting one.
If you go through the Broma archives, the only waffle recipe I have is this one from 2011. And it’s not even a real waffle– it’s a cookie waffle.
There’s really no excuse for this. A house is not a home without a waffle maker.
So a few weeks ago I hopped on the web and bought myself the first waffle maker I saw. And I dreamed up these Bananas Foster Waffles before the waffle maker even arrived.
It’s really amazing how easy waffles are to make perfectly. So apologies in advance if I end up making a waffle a month. I just can’t help myself.
Also when you were a little kid did you pour your maple syrup into each and every waffle crater before eating it? Yeah, me too.
I’m traveling for the next two weeks, first to Boston then to Nova Scotia then back to Boston. Weee!
I’ll still be around posting and such, but be sure to follow my adventures on Snapchat (sarahfennell) and Instagram.
Happy almost weekend, loves. Bless up. Waffle up.Print
Bananas Foster Waffles
- Yield: 14 waffles 1x
For the waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the bananas foster
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter (I use Challenge butter!)
- 3 bananas, sliced lengthwise
- chopped pecans
- vanilla ice cream
- maple syrup
- Preheat waffle iron according to maker’s instructions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, mix banana, buttermilk, rum, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring only until combined (do not overmix!).
- Grease waffle iron with nonstick spray between each round of waffles. Pour batter into mold and cook to desired doneness.
- While the waffles are cooking, make the bananas foster! In a large saucepan over medium low heat, melt the brown sugar, rum, maple syrup, and butter. Once melted, turn heat to medium and add in bananas. Use a spatula to flip the bananas so they cook evenly. Cook for roughly 5 minutes total, until the bananas turn a nice golden color and soak up almost all of the sauce.
- To plate your waffles, top each waffle with some of the bananas foster, then top with vanilla ice cream, chopped pecans, and maple syrup!