These Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are the perfect spicy snack for game day! Make this easy baked buffalo cauliflower wings recipe as a quick appetizer for your next get together. An amazing Super Bowl food idea!
Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Hi all! Sofi here. It seems fitting to write our yearly game day snack post this year, because it’s when Sarah and I met last year! Remember Vegan Chili Cheese Dogs? I know I do…they’re pretty unforgettable. And we’re back with more veggie game day treats this year with this killer buffalo cauliflower wings recipe. It’s super easy to make, a crowd pleaser, packed full of flavor, and relatively healthy.
Checks all of my boxes!
Don’t get it twisted. Cauliflower is not chicken. Duh. It would be crazy to say that these vegan buffalo wings taste just like buffalo chicken wings, but….they are pretty darn tasty in their own way. And if you’re craving that buffalo heat these baked buffalo cauliflower wings should satisfy the craving.
Plus they’re baked! Meaning you can eat like ten and not feel bad about it 🙂
How to Make Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Vegan or Gluten Free:
This recipe is super easily made vegan and/or gluten free with just a few simple swaps!
Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Wings:
- Make the buttermilk using almond milk (or another neutral flavored plant based milk): Simply mix together 3/4 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes. And there you have it: plant based buttermilk.
- Replace the butter with coconut oil or vegan butter: Swap out the melted butter in the buffalo sauce coating for melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter (we love Miyokos! Not sponsored, just true!)
Gluten Free Cauliflower Buffalo Wings:
- Swap out the flour in the coating for gluten free flour: If you’re gluten free, no worries! Simply swap out the all purpose flour with a cup for cup gluten free blend! We love Bob’s Red Mill’s!
How to Store Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
These buffalo cauliflower bites are best when eaten fresh out of the oven because, like most veggies, cauliflower has a high water content. The longer the wings sit, the more moisture the cooked cauliflower releases, which can get rid of some of that signature crunch you crave in a buffalo wing. We recommend following these tips:
- Wait to make the “wings” until you are ready to eat: This recipe comes together so easily and quickly, the best thing you can do is just wait until the last minute to bake them.
- Prep where you can: If you’re juggling a bunch of different apps on game day and really want to have stuff ready to go, you can cut the cauliflower into florets days in advance and make the buttermilk coating up up to 3 hours in advance so all you really have to do is assemble and pop in the oven!
- Only make what you’ll eat: These veggie buffalo wings are best hot out of the oven, so try to only make as much as you need for the given moment. I like to buy all the ingredients I’d need for a few batches and just make them as needed on the day I’m serving so that we don’t end up wasting any!
- Reheat the smart way: If you do end up with leftovers (we never have hehe), the best way to reheat these easy buffalo cauliflower wings is where you made them: the oven! Place the wings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 8 minutes on each side at 400°F to give them some extra crunch!
What will you be cooking up for your Super Bowl parties this year? If you’re looking for some inspo, keep your eyes peeled for our favorite party appetizers next week!
Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
This easy buffalo cauliflower wings recipe is the perfect crowd pleasing appetizer to serve up for game day! These baked cauliflower buffalo wings are made with under 10 ingredients and are a great healthy snack!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 small servings 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Buffalo Sauce (we used Frank’s!)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the spices, salt, and the flour. Add the buttermilk and stir until combined. The mixture should be pretty thick!
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bater, coating each piece evenly in the buttermilk mixture. Place the coated cauliflower on the prepare baking pans, leaving room between each piece to the air can circulate around them.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then flip the cauliflower over to it’s other side to get an even bake. Bake for another 20 minutes on the other side!
- While the cauliflower bakes, make the buffalo sauce. Combine the buffalo sauce with the melted butter and whisk to combine.
- When the cauliflower is done, add the florets into the bowl the hot sauce mixture is in. Toss to combine and enjoy!
Tips for the best baked cauliflower buffalo wings:
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, make your own with whatever milk you like (planted based or regular milk) by adding 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to 3/4 cup milk! Let stand fro 5 minutes to thicken and then use as directed! You can find a full tutorial on this here!
- If you’d like to make these vegan buffalo cauliflower bites, simple swap the buttermilk for plant based buttermilk and the butter for coconut oil or vegan butter!
- If you’d like to make these gluten free, swap out the all purpose flour for gluten free flour!
- Make sure to space out the cauliflower pieces on the parchment paper to make sure they can crispy on all sides!
Keywords: easy buffalo cauliflower wings, baked buffalo cauliflower wings, superbowl food, party food ideas, vegan appetizers