This easy steak tacos recipe is made even more delicious with our favorite homemade chimichurri sauce! Loaded with juicy flank steak, sliced avocado, jalapeños, quick pickled onions, and cotija cheese, these steak tacos are the perfect quick dinner idea!
The Best Steak Tacos
It’s Taco Tuesday and we are GOING ALL OUT. As promised, we are using this amazing chimichurri sauce to make these Chimichurri Steak Tacos. Loaded with juicy flank steak, sliced avocado, jalapeños, quick pickled onions, and cotija cheese, these chimichurri steak tacos are the perfect weeknight meal and they come together in a snap.
Tacos are one of our favorite foods because you can pack tons of flavor into a single tortilla. They’re versatile, hard to mess up, easy to make, and they also give you an excuse to eat chips and guac 🙂 What’s not to like?
It’s no secret that I looooove chimichurri, and it is really the star in these chimichurri flank steak tacos.The herby, refreshing chimichurri perfectly complements the charred steak, creamy avocado, and the heat of the jalapeños. I’m drooling just thinking about it.
How to Pickle Onions Quickly
Listen, I’m a very impatient person. So if there’s a shortcut, you best believe I’m taking it. You can always buy pickled onions, but you can also pickle them so quickly and SO easily. Simply slice your onion and place the slices in a small sauce pan with 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let everything come to a boil to soften up the onions. Remove from the heat and let sit for 15 minutes and there you have it: pickled onions in 15 minutes.
Tips to Make Chimichurri Steak Tacos
These chimichurri steak tacos are a crowd pleaser and look gourmet, but they’re secretly so easy to make.
Make quick pickled onions: We just went over this, duh! I recommend the first thing you do is quick pickle, that way the onions are nice and pickled by the time your steak is done.
Cook the steak — Sear the steak in a cast iron skillet or on a grill over high heat. This not only gives it a lovely, slightly charred flavor, but it also seals in all the juices. Make sure you let the steak rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving it. This gives the juices time to redistribute throughout the meat and makes for a better bite of steak.
Make the chimichurri — Making the homemade chimichurri sauce is very complicated (joking.) Simply throw every single ingredient into your blender or food processor and that’s it. It comes together in under 5 minutes and is packed with flavor! If you have leftover chimichurri you can store it in the fridge for up to a week! It’s also amazing on chicken and fish too. Get the recipe here!
Assemble the tacos — Warm up the tortillas. Slice the steak against the grain, and divide the steak among your tacos. Top with avocado slices, jalapeños, cotija cheese, those pickled onions you just whipped up, and drizzle the chimichurri sauce on top. Repeat with the rest of the tacos and dig in!
Go celebrate Taco Tuesday, you KNOW I am.
What are other kinds of tacos would you like to see on the blog?Print
Chimichurri Steak Tacos
This easy Steak Tacos recipe is made even more delicious with our favorite homemade chimichurri sauce! Loaded with juicy flank steak, sliced avocado, jalapeños, quick pickled onions, and cotija cheese, these steak tacos are the perfect quick dinner idea!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 tacos 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Mexican
for the quick pickled red onions
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
for the tacos
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1 avocado, sliced
- crumbled cotija cheese
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 1 recipe my absolute favorite chimichurri sauce
- 8 white corn tortillas (or any taco shell of your choice!)
- cilantro (optional for garnish)
for the quick pickled red onions
- In a small sauce pan add the sliced red onions, water, white vinegar and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil and then turn off the heat. Let the onions sit for at least 15 minutes to pickle.
for the tacos
- Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Preheat a large caste iron skillet or grill over high heat. Add in a high-heat oil (avocado works well!) to coat the surface of the pan.
- Carefully place steak in pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, creating a nice, even char. Sear steak around the edges, as well, to seal in all the juices and flavor. To tell if your steak is done, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. The steak should be at 135°F for medium rare, 140°F for medium, or 145°F for medium well.
- Take the steak off the heat and let it rest for least 15 minutes before slicing into 1/4 thick slices to use in your tacos.
- To char the tortillas, turn your oven to broil. Place tortillas on a large baking sheet, then place in the oven for about 30 seconds. Remove from oven, flip the tortillas over, and repeat on the other side.
- To assemble the tacos, take one tortilla and lay it flat. Place desired amount of steak onto the tortilla, sliced avocado, crumbled cheese, some pickled onions and jalapeño slices. Spoon chimichurri sauce over the filling. Repeat with the remaining tacos.
- Enjoy with chips and guac and a good margarita.
Keywords: steak for tacos, steak tacos sauce, quick dinner ideas, easy dinner ideas, family dinner