These buttery Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist, flavorful and full of buttery, cinnamon sugar swirls. Perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Muffins
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Cue the champagne pop and the confetti! We’re kicking off this new decade with these cinnamon chocolate chip muffins, swirled with buttery ribbons of cinnamon sugar and studded with chunks of chocolate.
So, yeah. you could say we’re off to a good start.
These chocolate chip muffins have the most tender, moist crumb ever and are literally injected with a buttery cinnamon sugar mixture. They’re like muffins on steroids, and damn, they are good.
Tips for Cinnamon Swirl Chocolate Chip Muffins
Muffins are pretty straight forward as far as baked goods go, but if you want perfect muffins every time we rounded up our best tips for moist cinnamon chocolate chip muffins!
- Don’t sub out the greek yogurt: The acidity of the greek yogurt is essential to getting that high rise and keeping these muffins incredibly moist.
- Don’t over mix the batter: Over mixing will lead to dry, tough cinnamon swirl muffins.
- Follow the temperature directions closely: The key to a high rise and a crunchy top is the higher temperature for the first few minutes of baking!
How to Make the Cinnamon Swirl:
The buttery cinnamon swirl is really what pushes these muffins over the edge. To get the best swirl, place the butter + cinnamon sugar mixture in a piping bag and poke the bag into each muffin multiple times to “inject” the cinnamon-y goodness throughout the muffins!
Now I know, there’s a lot of “new year, new me” and “resolutions” talk surrounding the New Year, and I’m all about committing to better ourselves. But, there’s absolutely no reason that cinnamon chocolate chip muffins aren’t included in that better version of you.
So here’s to many more delicious baked goods this new decade, including these cinnamon swirl muffins!
Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Muffins
These buttery cinnamon chocolate chip muffins are swirled with ribbons of a buttery cinnamon sugar mixture and loaded with chocolate chunks. There is truly nothing better to have as a warm breakfast treat!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
for the muffins
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
for the cinnamon sugar swirl
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a muffin tin with 10 muffin cups, and spray the muffin cups with an oil-based spray. Set aside.
- First, make the cinnamon sugar swirl mixture in a microwave safe bowl, microwave the butter, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in 20 second increment, stirring between each. Repeat until the mixture is homogenous and the butter is fully melted. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, eggs, melted butter, greek yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing only until combined. Having a few lumps in the batter is totally fine!
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups, filling just shy of the top of the cups. Snip off the top of the piping bag for the cinnamon sugar mixture and stick the bag into each muffin at varying depths, injecting each muffin a few times. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then, without opening your oven door, turn the oven down to 350°F and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips + Tricks
- Don’t over mix the batter! Only mix until just combined.
- If you’d like to make mini muffins, line 24 mini muffin cups with liners and reduce the temperature to 375° for the whole time. only bake for 8 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
Keywords: cinnamon swirl muffins, easy chocolate chip muffins, healthy chocolate chip muffins