These fudgy Cosmic Brownies will take you back to your childhood and those chocolatey intergalactic brownies in your lunchbox. These might even be better than the original Little Debbie’s brownies!
HEY GUYS! Sofi, here. Happy Monday to all you kiddos and kiddos at heart. We’re getting back to our roots with these copycat cosmic brownies AKA those fudgy, chocolatey intergalactic brownies of your lunchbox days. Dare I say, they are better than Little Debbie’s version? I do.
What is a Cosmic Brownie?
Growing up, cosmic brownies were my sister Libby’s absolute favorite dessert. She’d take a cosmic brownie over a homemade cookie any day and she ate them with such speed that our household would go through a couple of boxes a week. So, Libs, this one’s for you.
If you’ve never had a cosmic brownie, you’re missing out. We bought a box of them when we decided to do this copycat cosmic brownie recipe–I mean obviously we had to. And, guys, they are just as good as I remembered. A rectangle of fudgy chocolatey (but not too chocolatey) goodness coated in a creamy ganache and topped with crunchy chocolate pieces all wrapped up in a cellophane package.
Tips for the Perfect Copycat Cosmic Brownie:
- Use high quality cocoa powder: I cannot stress enough how important it is to you high quality cocoa in your chocolate desserts! Using a low quality cocoa powder can be a real bummer for that rich chocolatey flavor. We love Rodelle’s cocoa powder!
- Don’t over mix: The key to a good brownie with a fudgy, yet delicate crumb is not overworking your batter. Once everything is combined just pop it in the oven!
- Be patient with your ganache: Ganache can take some time to set, so even though you want to dig in right away, let your chocolate ganache harden before sprinkling with the chocolate candies and devouring!
So here’s all that delicious cosmic brownie flavor without the corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, or preservatives.
What’re you waiting for? Go whip up some homemade cosmic brownies!!
Copycat Cosmic Brownies
We took the fudgy, delicious cosmic brownies from your lunchbox days and made them sans corn syrup and weird additives so adult you can enjoy these delicious chocolatey treats 🙂
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 brownies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 eggs and 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
for the ganache
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, room temperature.
- candy coated chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until homogenous. Add the eggs, honey, and vanilla extract and whisk until combined, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until no clumps of flour or cocoa remain. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean. Allow the brownies to cool.
- While the brownies cool, make your ganache. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips, whisking constantly to make sure they do not burn. Slowly pour in the cream, whisking constantly until smooth and combined. Pour over the cooled brownies and let set for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate candies and enjoy!
Keywords: little debbies brownies, cosmic brownies, fudgy brownies, homemade brownies, easy brownies recipe