Introducing the best gluten free chocolate cake you’ll ever eat. Moist, rich, fudgy, cakey, and oh so chocolatey, this easy gfree chocolate cake recipe is the only one you’ll ever need!
The Best Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
So you’re looking for a homemade gluten free chocolate cake? Well you’ve come to the right place, because today we’re debuting this easy gfree chocolate cake recipe that we’ve been making for years. And….spoiler alert: it’s super easy to make! You don’t even need a mixer to make this decadent, moist, fudgy cake!
Topped with a rich and creamy homemade chocolate frosting, this gfree chocolate cake tastes just as good, if not better than a regular chocolate cake. It’s perfect for birthdays, holidays, valentine’s day, or just because.
Because you shouldn’t need an occasion to make cake in my opinion.
Who’s with me?
How to make a substitution for buttermilk?
“I always love to keep a perishable quart of buttermilk in my fridge at all times,” said no one EVER. Truly I cannot remember the last time I bought buttermilk. And I bake every day.
The great news is that buttermilk is super easy to sub for with two ingredients you most likely have on hand: milk and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.Simply mix together 1 cup of regular milk with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Stir together and let it stand for 5 minutes.
And there you have it! Homemade buttermilk!
Tips for the best gluten free chocolate cake:
- Use high quality cocoa: This is a nonnegotiable. We absolutely love Rodelle’s baking cocoa and refuse to bake with anything else. It really does produce the best chocolate results of any cocoa powder we’ve tried. You can find it on Amazon and get it delivered straight to your door. Plus this bag lasts for months!
- Use Bob’s Gluten Free flour: We tried this recipe with other brands cup for cup blends and Bob’s is simply the best if you want a cake that doesn’t taste gluten free.
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature: This will help the batter to incorporate easier and prevent any hot coffee from cooking raw eggs!
- No over mixing or over baking: Over mixing and over baking lead to a dry, tough cake. Only mix until the batter is just combined and take the cake out of the oven when a knife comes out mostly clean!
What size cakes will this gluten free chocolate cake recipe make?
You can see from the photos that we made this easy gluten free chocolate cake as a sheet cake, but you can make this recipe in a few different size pans!
- One 9 x 13 inch sheet cake
- Two 9 inch round cakes
- Three 6 inch round cake
- Twenty four cupcakes
You’ll have to adjust the baking times depending on the size of the cakes.
Alright, my loves, that’s it for today. Enjoy this easy gluten free chocolate cake recipe and let us know how it goes!Print
Easy Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Introducing the best gluten free chocolate cake you’ll ever eat. Moist, fudgy, cakey, and oh so chocolatey, this easy gfree chocolate cake recipe is the only one you’ll ever need! The cake comes together in under 10 minutes and doesn’t require a mixer AKA you could make this anywhere!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
for the cake:
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups dark cocoa powder*
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Cup for Cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee, room temperature
for the chocolate butter cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk oil, eggs, and buttermilk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, whisking until no lumps remain. Pour in brewed coffee, mixing until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for roughly 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- To make the frosting, place all frosting ingredients in mixing bowl. Beat slowly at first to incorporate and then beat on high speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl and repeat until the frosting has lightened slightly and is fluffy.
- Frost cake, spreading the frosting evenly over the whole surface, using the back of a spoon to create big swirls. Top with sprinkles if desired and enjoy!
*We used Rodelle and would highly recommend
Keywords: gluten free chocolate cake, easy gluten free chocolate cake, best gluten free chocolate cake, gluten free chocolate cake recipe
Looking for more gluten free recipes?