Is there any better way to start the day off than with homemade fluffy blueberry pancakes? This easy blueberry pancake recipe is light, fluffy, buttery and packed with juicy blueberries! Top these bad boys with butter and a drizzle of maple syrup!
Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes
It’s pancake time, babiezzzz! Specifically, blueberry pancake time AKA the best kind of pancakes. I cannot articulate how delicious these pancakes are. They are buttery, moist, melt in your mouth, not too sweet, thick, and fluffy. Words do not do them justice. You will simply have to make them for yourself.
Plus, why start the day off with a boring yogurt when you can whip up these easy blueberry pancakes in no time? Starting the day with pancakes and syrup sets you up for success. Or at the very least, a good burst of energy from that maple syrup sugar rush! Plus this blueberry pancake recipe is super easy to make and requires only 8 ingredients.
Ingredients for Blueberry Pancakes
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients to make these delicious pancakes. And you probably already have most of them on hand, meaning you can whip them up on a whim whenever you please! Don’t have blueberries? You can always sub them out for another fruit!
- Granulated Sugar: Just a few tablespoons of granulated sugar gives these pancakes a hint of sweetness without loading them up with sugar. Save that for drowning them in maple syrup 🙂
- Eggs: Two eggs keep these pancakes light without tasting too eggy!
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is essential to the fluffy rise on these easy blueberry pancakes. If you don’t have any on hand, you can make your own at home with our perfect buttermilk substitution.
- Butter: A little melted butter in the batter keeps these pancakes moist and tender. We love using melted butter for the flavor opposed to vegetable oil for that extra mouthwatering, buttery flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour: All purpose flour will make a beautiful fluffy crumb! You could always sub this out with whole wheat flour to give these an extra healthy boost!
- Baking powder + baking soda: A combination of baking powder and baking soda gives these pancakes a seriously fluffy, mile high rise. These pancakes are not messing around. I’m talking award winning diner level fluffy. Straight from the comfort of your home!
- Blueberries: You can use fresh or frozen blueberries in this blueberry pancakes recipe! If you are using frozen blueberries, take extra care to not over mix your batter to prevent the blueberry juices from bleeding into the pancakes
How to make homemade buttermilk
Most pancake recipes call for buttermilk. And for a good reason! Buttermilk is more acidic and thicker than milk which will give baked goods a little tang and an extra rise because acidity will activate your leavening agent more. But, I have a secret to tell you: literally no one buys buttermilk. I bake for a living and even I don’t buy buttermilk.
Lucky for you, we have an at home buttermilk substitute that requires just two ingredients and seamlessly replaces buttermilk in any recipe.
Tips for making the fluffiest blueberry pancakes
Pancakes are one of the more straightforward breakfast foods to make at home. They’re not a huge undertaking like vegan cinnamon rolls and they don’t even require a mixer. As long as you have a bowl, a brain, and 8 ingredients you can make delicious blueberry pancakes in under 15 minutes!
- Don’t over mix the batter: This is really the only rule you need to follow when it comes to pancake making. This will keep your pancakes super tender with that melt in your mouth texture.
- Liberally grease your griddle: There is nothing sadder than a pancake that won’t flip. Grease your griddle with butter to give your pancakes a crisp buttery finish and make flipping them a breeze.
- Don’t be alarmed by your first pancake: First pancakes are always a little off. Just throw it out, and keep going!
Fun Toppings for Pancakes
Oh my goodness–the options are ENDLESS! Let me preface this by saying that these pancakes are amazing on their own. They do not need a single one of these toppings. We ate these plain with our hands. They’re fluffy, buttery, packed full of blueberries are perfect just the way they are. But more is more, y’know? Top these bad boys with whatever your heart desires! We suggest:
- sliced bananas
- chocolate chips
- slivered almonds
- pure maple syrup
- more blueberries
- powdered sugar
- peanut butter + honey
- whipped cream
Now grease up those griddles and enjoy these delicious and easy fluffy blueberry pancakes!
Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes
These melt in your mouth fluffy blueberry pancakes are easy to make and even easier to eat!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings (makes 8-10 pancakes) 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: pan fry
- Cuisine: american
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring only until just combined. The batter should be lumpy. Last, fold in the blueberries.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle on medium heat. Once griddle is hot, liberally grease with oil or butter (about 1 tablespoon per 3 pancakes). Pour ¼ cup of batter per pancake onto surface. Cook on one side until holes form around edges, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook on other side for additional 1-2 minutes. Don’t let the pan get too hot– you want a nice, even heat.
- Serve with a butter and a healthy dose of maple syrup! The options are endless!
Tips for Blueberry Pancakes
- Whatever you do, do NOT over mix your batter. Over mixing will produce tough, dry pancakes. The batter should be a little lumpy with streaks of flour!
- Your first pancake will probably look
- Pay close attention to the heat on the pancake griddle. If your pan gets too hot, remove it from the heat to cool down, wipe off any burnt butter and wait to make more pancakes to prevent burning!
Keywords: blueberry pancakes, fluffy blueberry pancakes