Ladies and gentleman, the moment you’ve all be waiting for. The November dessert of the month award goes to…. Gingerbread Millionaire Bars!
That’s right, folks, and don’t forget you heard it here first. These bars, made with layers of ginger shortbread, homemade caramel, and dark chocolate, are my favorite thing I’ve made for the blog this month.
I always feel like bars are under appreciated during the holidays. But they’re such a great treat for a crowd. Grab and go. Nosh and nosh some more.
I’m so excited to head back to Boston for Thanksgiving this year. I’ll be celebrating with my family, and you can bet I already have a full Google Doc going with our menu.
When I’m home for Thanksgiving, my sister Rebe and I take on the majority of the menu. We have so much fun, planning it out for weeks and spending a minimum of 2 days prepping. The. Best.
Honestly, I’m not stoked with how the photos came out, but take my word that these bars are SYO GYOOOOD. You totes need to have them on your Thanksgiving menu.
That’s all for now! Enjoy!!Print
Gingerbread Millionaire Bars
Classic Millionaire Bars get a twist with these Gingerbread Millionaire Bars! Made with spiced ginger shortbread, homemade chewy caramel, and chocolate!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 mins
- Yield: 36 bars 1x
For the ginger shortbread bottom:
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For the chewy caramel:
- 15 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons honey or golden syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the chocolate top:
- 12 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar, and molasses together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg, spices, fresh ginger, and salt, whipping an additional minute. Fold in flour, mixing only until combined.
- Transfer dough to prepared baking pan, patting down evenly. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of the shortbread comes out clean. Allow to cool while you make your caramel.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, combine the sweetened condensed milk, sugar, butter, and honey. Use a rubber spatula to mix slowly but continuously for about ten minutes. The mixture will slowly turn a light golden color and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Heat until mixture reaches a nice golden caramel color, then immediately remove from heat and mix in salt.
- Pour mixture over ginger shortbread, and use spatula to spread evenly. Place in the fridge to harden completely, about 2 hours.
- Once the bars have cooled, make your chocolate layer. Prepare a double boiler over medium heat. Chop the chocolate and pour 3/4 of it into a glass or metal bowl. Melt over double boiler until completely melted. Remove from heat, fold in remaining 1/4 of chocolate, and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, stir the mixture, making sure all the chocolate has melted completely. Pour over chilled bars, then place back in fridge to harden.
- Cut into 1″x2″ bars and serve! Will last up to 1 week when sealed tightly in a container in the fridge.