Do you really believe me that these Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies are gluten free AND dairy free? Because I barely believe myself. But it’s true, I swear!
It all started when two of our friends got engaged and Alex and I offered to host a cute little dinner at our place. Only one of the lucky lovebirds is gluten free, and to top it off another one of our friends coming to the party is gluten free and dairy free. I know. So sad.
But! I was determined to make a dessert that would satisfy everyone, with no alternative flours, root powders, or flaxseed meal. So yes, these Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies are made completely from ingredients in a typical pantry.
And oh my god the brownie cookies. They are to die for. It seriously tastes like a brownie: super gooey and fudgy on the inside, with a crackled crust on the outside. I’m still amazed that they only have 4 ingredients in them (well, if you count vanilla extract and salt, it’s 6, but those aren’t real).
To take them to the next level, I used Kroger’s Simple Truth Chocolate “Almond Dessert”, which is simply a vegan chocolate ice cream. It was creamy and delicious, and tasted more like a light ice cream than an almond milk ice cream.
Honestly, I’m such a big fan of Kroger. They have competitive prices with other national grocery stores, and yet I’ve consistently found their product selection and quality to be heads above the rest. This vegan ice cream was no different. I mean, just look at the texture.
Oooh! And for those of you Kroger-lovers (because it’s my favorite grocery store), you can download this Kroger coupon up to 5 times to get $100 in digital savings!
Our friends are coming over tonight, so I can’t wait to see what they think of these Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies. I have a feeling they’re going to be a huge hit.Print
Gluten Free/Dairy Free Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
- Yield: 6 ice cream sandwiches 1x
for the cookies
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
for the rest!
- 1 pint Simple Truth vegan chocolate ice cream
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet (yes, grease! these cookies stick easily, so you’ll need a little something extra).
- Mix together the confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk in the egg whites and vanilla extract until well combined. The consistency should be like a thick brownie batter. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a 2 oz scoop, scoop the batter onto baking sheet, keeping 1½ inches apart. Bake for 9-10 minutes, until the cookies are shiny. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before placing on wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 12 cookies.
- To make the ice cream sandwich cookies, use a sharp serrated knife to cut the pint of ice cream into 6 equal disks. Do not remove the packaging until after you cut your ice cream disks- this will help to keep the ice cream together without melting!
- Sandwich ice cream disks with two cookies. Repeat with remaining ingredients, then place in freezer for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, melt the dark chocolate over low heat over a double boiler. Once melted, remove ice cream sandwiches from fridge and dip into melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and place over a cooling rack so excess chocolate drips off. Once finished, place back in freezer to harden for about 10 minutes. Ice cream sandwiches will keep in freezer for a few weeks, just keep them in a plastic container with a lid.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kroger. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Broma possible!